Urology

Have Urology Questions? Ask a Urologist Online.

Ask a Doctor,

I have noticed that I have blood in my semen

Customer Question
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Urology
1/23/2016
Urologist: Internist, Dr replied 2 years ago
Internist

hi there

i am online and will be happy to answer your questions

thank you for your patience

for how long you are experiencing this?

did you notice gross blood or was the color of semen changed?

does it come and go or is it present in every ejaculate?

any other medical issues?

Not noticed until recently but it may have been present some months ago. The semen is discoloured but not noticeable in urine.
I have recovered from bowel cancer and have been clear for nearly 3 years

this condition is called hematospermia

Hematospermia is almost always a benign condition. There are multiple causes for hematospermia.

They include benign and malignant disorders of the prostate gland, seminal vesicles, spermatic cord, and ejaculatory duct system; urogenital infections including sexually transmitted infections (eg, chlamydia, herpes simplex virus, gonorrhea, trichomonas); metastatic cancers; vascular malformations; congenital and drug-induced bleeding disorders; and even frequent daily ejaculation over a period of several weeks

initial evaluation is with history, physical and urinalysis.

cbc, and coagulation profile like pt , ptt , is also recommended.

ultrasound of kidneys and bladder also helps in ruling out source of blood from these organs.

i would recommend seeing your doctor and getting above tests. and as you had bowel cancer , your doctor needs to rule out metastatic disease also.

In most cases, the evaluation will not identify a clear cause of hematospermia. Thus, there is no specific medical or surgical treatment for the majority of patients, and the condition will usually resolve spontaneously.

most important treatment is reassurance.

please let me know if you have any questions. thank you

I am here to help you and I wish you best health,

if done for now, please leave positive rating above the chat box.

we only get credit for helping clients after positive feedback.

If you have any more questions, please feel free to ask anytime.

Please bookmark my profile for asking further questions!

This is the link to my profile:

http://www.justanswer.com/medical/expert-drhashmimd/?rpt=3800

Thanks for using justanswer.com

did my answer make sense to you?

Internist
Internist
Internist, Dr