Urology

Have Urology Questions? Ask a Urologist Online.

Ask a Doctor,

I am a care giver to my 97 yr old mother.... I am a care…

Customer Question
I am a care giver...
I am a care giver to my 97 yr old mother....
I am a care giver to my 97 yr old mother. She suffers from incontinence and from wearing pads she developed a diaper rash in Sept as observed by her dr at that time. She was advised to use desitin and it would heal. It didn't heal and in Nov she went to a gynecologist he examined her said she hadextreme redness and sores... prescribed a topical and another steroid cream. It has gotten worse she now carries around a pillow because she is in so much pain when she sits. She cries when she urinates... She is too weak to take a shower a few times a week. My mother still insists to live at home independently. I care for her three nights a week sometimes more otherwise she is alone but this is getting over my head. I will add that she can afford care as needed. What can be done and what can I do? I am going to make an appt with her primary dr tomorrow... I am waiting for a call back from the gynecologist. What are the steps that can be done to relieve my mother's pain and make this heal. I have also noticed at times she is getting out of breath. This is such an undignified way to go. Thanks for your help.
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Urology
Answered in 1 hour by:
1/19/2016
Urologist: dr abid, Board Certified Urologist replied 2 years ago
dr abid
dr abid, Board Certified Urologist

Hi there ...

Thank you for your question ...

And I am sorry to hear about your mother ...

At thus stage she need care , and precautions to avoid bed sores , infection , and easy passage of urine .

It would be ideal for you to provide ...

Use Ripple mattress to avoid and prevent bed sores .

Frequent posture change is very important .

Good hydration is very important .

Silicone catheter should be passed to help her out regarding her urine issues , as diaper is not appropriate for her.

Good analgesics should be added on regular basis after discussing with PCP .

Above mentioned steps should be adopted to help her out .

Regards ***** ***** her good health .

Positive feedback in the form of good rating will be appreciated .

Thanks .