How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Dr. Y. Your Own Question
Dr. Y.
Dr. Y., Urologist
Category: Urology
Satisfied Customers: 20388
Experience:  I am fellowship trained specializing in general urology and reconstructive urology.
Type Your Urology Question Here...
Dr. Y. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I have an enlarged prostate and have been on Flowmax for

Customer Question

I have an enlarged prostate and have been on Flowmax for about 4 years. In the last 12 months I have also added Avodart to my daily medication. I live in Vancouver, Canada. I had a block last night and had to go to emergency to get a catheter to release. I have had such a block 9 months ago and one about 2 years and 3 years back. My urologist is recommending a get TURP procedure done. How long can I go on without surgery? Am I hruting myself further by delaying surgery? Is there a catheter available that a person can safely use on oneself and wher can I get this??
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Urology
Expert:  Dr. Y. replied 1 year ago.

You can probably go on for a few more months before this episode of utinary retention happens again. You definitely need to have a surgery such as a TURP to relieve the prostate obstruction. You can be damaging the bladder and kidneys by delaying the surgery. You can be taught to catheterizd yourself in the meantime and this would likely have to be prescribed by your urologist. Hope this helps and let me know for you have questions.