Urology

Have Urology Questions? Ask a Urologist Online.

Ask a Doctor,

Urology

Is it normal to have highly variable urine output even when

Customer Question
input is the same and...
Is it normal to have highly variable urine output even when input is the same and diet, weather, sweat, and activity is seemingly very consistent? I have a history of cardiomyopathy, now resolved, so I am very concerned about fluid balance. I measure my
input/output frequently. I tend to drink about 2.5-2.8 liters a day, and urinate 3.3-3.8 liters a day, probably because my diet is High in watery fruit and vegetables. It still seems like I rarely have the sensation to urinate and drinking 24 oz can make me
urinate 800 ml an hour later or 300 ml two and a half hours later. My kidney and liver function tests are perfect but I worry all the time. I've been to a nephrologist and urologist and both say I'm fine, as well as my cardiologist but I worry when I seem
to be the only one of my friends who can easily sit through a long movie without running frantically to the ladies room at least once. Am I worrying needlessly or should I get more testing? Many thanks
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Urology
12/6/2015
Urologist: dr abid, Board Certified Urologist replied 2 years ago
dr abid
dr abid, Board Certified Urologist

Hi there ...

Thank you for your question ...

Urine output highly depends on daily diet and fluid intake , in the presence of normal kidney function test , you shouldn't worry , this is normal.

Regards ***** ***** luck .4

Please rate my answer as good service .

Thanks .

Thank you so much. Is it quite normal to urinate less at night? Not overnight while sleeping, but just late before bed? I find even when drinking quite a lot when late, I don't have to urinare as much as I do during the day. I've been told the process is too automatic and controlled by my body for me to truly understand but I am haunted by my brief time with cardiomyopathy when my former doctor told me if I wasn't urinating every 2 hours while not dehydrated, I was going into heart failure. I am quite obsessive about measuring fluids but all my doctors are telling me there's no need now.Trying to relax but finding it hard not to keep up this OCD habit of tracking every drop in and out.Thank you so much:

You are welcome .

Positive feedback will be appreciated .

Thanks .

dr abid
dr abid
dr abid, Board Certified Urologist