Dr. Y.
Dr. Y., Urologist
Experience:  I am fellowship trained specializing in general urology and reconstructive urology.
32613003

8 days ago I went to my doctor for UTI symptoms I was put on

Customer Question

Hi 8 days ago I went to my doctor for UTI symptoms
I was put on Cipro for 3 days, did not improve and felt worse. I called my doctor which took me 6 calls to get one back. Her nurse told me the doctor is not surprised go see a urologist something else causing it. No other questions asked. I felt they did not care. I looked up my urine test lab results. It said abnormal, it had 1plus for blood(I did just get over my period ) and white blood cells were trace evidence. Everything else was negative. I do not know if they tested for specific bacteria or not. Did not see anything on test that it could be. Frustrated and in pain I went to urgent care this past Saturday. They gave me sulfsmethoxazole. Today is day 4 starting it. I have constant pressure on my bladder and trouble urinating. My bladder empties better when I stand, I am a 42 year old woman. I made a urologist appointment but it is not till Dec. 7
I have considered back and forth about going to ER. Would like your opinion. I am
Category: Urology
Expert:  Dr. Y. replied 1 year ago.

Do you have any burning or is it just the constant urge to urinate that is the problem?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No burning just constant urge and extreme pressure
Expert:  Dr. Y. replied 1 year ago.

Have you ever been placed on a medication such as oxybutynin?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Would oxytrol help
Do you think it's a UTI that did not respond to Cipro and it's taking a while for the sulfamethoxazole to work
Expert:  Dr. Y. replied 1 year ago.

Your symptoms sound more consistent with overactive bladder due to bladder spasms. This may not be a urinary tract infection. However, the only way to determine whether or not there is truly and active infection or not is to send a formal urine culture. I would recommend that they start by sending a formal urine culture. If there is no growth of bacteria, then they should put you on a medication such as the Oxytrol or any other bladder spasm medication. Hope this helps and please let me know if you have questions.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ok thanks fir your help
Expert:  Dr. Y. replied 1 year ago.

You're welcome. Please don't forget to leave me a rating. Thanks.