Dr. Y.
Dr. Y., Urologist
Experience:  I am fellowship trained specializing in general urology and reconstructive urology.
32613003

If a man experiences blood in his ejaculate, what can be the

Customer Question

If a man experiences blood in his ejaculate, what can be the causes, how urgent is the matter and what percentage chance is this indicative of prostrate cancer? No chance of STDs.
Category: Urology
Expert:  Dr. Tharun replied 1 year ago.

Hi

Blood in semen also known as Hematospermia is usually a harmless condition. Although it looks scary, it almost always settles of its own over a period of time. Most commonly this is caused by inflammation of the prostate gland. This usually doesn't require any active treatment. Re assurance, hydration and small course of anti inflammatory drugs might settle this issue fast. Other causes include prostatic or seminal vesicles calcification. Very rarely prostate cancer can cause this condition. Blood thinners can also induce blood in the seven.

Only if the blood persists beyond 2 - 3 months further tests have to be done. This includes urine cytology, trans rectal ultrasound of the prostate, PSA. Mri pelvis is also suggested in such cases.

Drink plenty of water and cranberry juice which is protective.

If you have any questions regarding this problem please let me know.

Dr.Tharun