Dr. Y.
Dr. Y., Urologist
Experience:  I am fellowship trained specializing in general urology and reconstructive urology.
32613003

I am a 56 year old female. My family doctor found Blood in

Customer Question

Hello I am a 56 year old female. My family doctor found Blood in my urine and sent me to have a CT scan. The CT scan came back with complex renal cyst. He wants to send me now to have another scan with a contrast dye. Wouldn't it better for him to refer me to a urologist specialist since the Ct scan came up with those results? Also, its been now over 1 week and Im still waiting for him to make the next scheduling appt for the next scan. I have been having symptoms of lower back pain, fatigue, tired all the time. i actually down feel good at all. The symptoms I have been having for over 6 months now. What is your recommendation as to what i should do? Wait for my family doctor or just make a move for me to contact and make an appt with a specialist? Im concern this might be cancer and the longer I wait the worse I feel it can be. Please advise.
Category: Urology
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Is Complex renal cyst something to be concern about or am I worrying too much?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Should it be a Nephrologyst instead of an urologist since its Complex Renal Cyst in the kidney?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
hello??? Are you going to respond? I thought I would get a response tonight before tomorrow? that is why I came here. Please credit my account back. thanks ill wait to tomorrow to ask my doctors here. thanks!
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
cancel this question and do not charge me as I did not receive a response. thanks!
Expert:  Dr. Y. replied 1 year ago.

I just received your questions. Would you still like my help?

Expert:  Dr. Y. replied 1 year ago.

Yes, a complex renal cyst can possibly be cancer and can be the cause of blood in the urine. A urologist is definitely the type position that you need to see. As long as they order a CT scan with the renal mass protocol, this would be the appropriate CT scan to be done. Then reviewed by the urologist to determine if you need surgery to remove the cyst. Hope this helps.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Is a CT scan with renal mass protocol uses Dye contrast? Because I just had a CT scan without the contrast last monday and that is where they discovered the Complex renal cyst. so if they are sending me to do this other Scan with contrast what si the difference since I thought the first scan will tell if its cancer or not?
Expert:  Dr. Y. replied 1 year ago.

No, a CT scan without contrast cannot determine if this is cancer or not. The CT scan renal mass protocol does use IV dye contrast and this is what you need to have done.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thanks for all your help! I'm still waiting on the doctor to call me with a schedule of when will I have my next CT Scan with with the contrast. Apparently they are running into some coding issue for the insurance. ;(
Expert:  Dr. Y. replied 1 year ago.

Sorry to hear that. Hope it gets straightened out. I wish you the very best. Please don't forget to leave me a rating. Thanks.