Urology

Have Urology Questions? Ask a Urologist Online.

Ask a Doctor,

Urology

My 94 yo mother underwent radical vulvectomy. We were told

Customer Question
my 94 yo mother underwent...
my 94 yo mother underwent radical vulvectomy. We were told she has stage IV Necrosis of the bladder and rectum some of which they removed but could not get it all. The oncologist is EXTREMELY vague. I would like more information please
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Urology
Since her surgery last January she now has no bladder control.
thankfully she has no pain
she and her oncologist elected no post op treatment due to age (not health)
Answered in 1 hour by:
10/29/2015
Urologist: DrRussMd, Board certified internist replied 2 years ago
DrRussMd
DrRussMd, Board certified internist

Hello

Necrosis means dead tissue.

It is not a diagnosis.

I assume she had cancer of the vulva.

If it is stage 4 cancer, not curable.

Apparently it is in the rectum and bla, bladder.

Stage 4 means metastatic...as spread elsewhere.

It can be slowed, but not cured by conventional means.

I am guessing here, since you have given little information.

I suggest you talk with the oncologist, and have a list of questions based on my answer.

OK, so that is an initial answer….

Please use reply to expert if you have further questions. When you are ready, please click a positive rating [hopefully excellent]. If you forgot something, come back. I am here daily.

the oncologist/surgeon said it is Stage IV Necrosis and wont use the term cancer. this is confusing to me as I have not heard of Necrosis being staged. He wont tell me more and perhaps since my mother has not given permission. She is in no pain however I notice her appitite diminishing and most recently ~4 months no bladder control at all. If it was cancer with mets to bladder and rectum how slow growing can it be and what are some physical signs that should accompany it. She is amazing, drives and does not look her age at all

No such thing

Necrosis is necrosis, and can be advanced, but it is not in stages.

I would get permission from your mother, and ask for biopsy results, ect.

The cancer could be slow or fast; it really depends on the GRADE, and the individual.

please click a positive rating [hopefully excellent]. If you forgot something, come back. I am here daily.

DrRussMd
DrRussMd
DrRussMd, Board certified internist