Urology

Have Urology Questions? Ask a Urologist Online.

Ask a Doctor,

Urology

My left testicle has suddenly started hanging about 3 inches

Customer Question
lower than normal low point...
My left testicle has suddenly started hanging about 3 inches lower than normal low point. there seems to be a bunch of nerves I can feel swollen in there.. This happens when I am standing or sitting for long time and goes away when I lay down. I do have
a small hydrocele and a suspect varicocele which were seen in an ultrasound. but the symptom of hanging this low had a sudden onset. Can either of these 2 condition ( varicocele and Hydrocele)cause the testicle to start hanging much lower than normal. I am
having difficulty walking or going to social events. I left a group dinner midway and went home yesterday due to the discomfort.
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Urology
10/12/2015
Urologist: Dr. Tharun, Urology Resident replied 2 years ago
Dr. Tharun
Dr. Tharun, Urology Resident

Hi

Welcome to JA.

How big is the hydrocele?

Do you have any pain in the testicles?

Are you sure it suddenly dropped 3 inches - which is almost 7-8 cms?

Any hernia problems ?

Please let me know.

Dr.Tharun

Hydrocele is 1.7*0.9*0.9 cm
No Pain in testicles
if not 3 inches. it is 2 inches lower for sure, nothing lesser than that. I cannot wear my briefs comfortably, Nor can I wear supporters to hold my testicles in place. I am wearing jeans one size larger than normal
No Hernia problem. although there is a small spermatic cord lipoma which my doctor does not want to operate on.
Unfortunately my problem was not existent when I went to speak with the doctor.so he does not know what I am saying. :(
there is a mild accompanying pain near my waist/bladder like feeling a tug on some muscle. The entire area around the inguinal canal seems hollow as if the entire structure has sunk inside the body

Hydrocele by its weight can drag the testicle down and make it hang lower. But if it is as small as you mention it can not pull the testicle so much.

Other possibilities:Small early hernia can dilate the internal ring and this can cause the spermatic cord to advance downward and hang lower.

Varicocele will cause bulky cord and dragging pain. But this will not elongate the spermatic cord.

Clinical examination is important to get a differential diagnosis for your condition. Later a scan may be advised to confirm the condition.

If you have any doubts please let me know.

Dr.Tharun

is it dangerous in any way if the spermatic cord is hanging lower. Is torsion a possibility in such a case.?
Also how can I confirm that there is no damage to the cremestric muscle or spermatic cord. My ultrasound done 7 days back showed good blood flow to the testis

Torsion is almost unheard of at this age. Again Torsion will present with severe pain and swelling and hardness of the testicle. In absence of these symptoms torsion may not be present.

There is no danger in spermatic cord hanging lower.

Cremaster muscle damage can not be assessed as it is just a thin strip of muscle around the cord which is continuation of the abdominal muscles. Hernia can be assessed clinically as well as an ultrasound of the inguinal region with special instruction to strain and cough during the scan.

There may not be any damage to the testis.But if it was a hernia, then the hernia sac from the inguinal region can enter the scrotum as disease progression. So inguinal region may appear less bulky now but scrotum will look fuller and lower.

Dr.Tharun

Dr. Tharun
Dr. Tharun
Dr. Tharun, Urology Resident