Urology

Have Urology Questions? Ask a Urologist Online.

Ask a Doctor,

Urology

Need someone to review blood work and semen analysis

Customer Question
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Urology
Hi, my wife and I have been trying to have children with no success, I have attached my blood work and semen analysis...I need detailed info about how good or bad it is, if its bad news, we just need to knowThanks
9/22/2015
Urologist: Dr. David, MD replied 2 years ago

This is Dr. David

your sperm is actually pretty good.

you have 38million per ml, over 15 million is normal.

your motility is 69%, grade 0 is the best motility and you have 49% there.

so it doesn't look like it is your sperm which is the problem.

your wife has to do some testing as well.

Hi, what about the morphology? Are there any WBCs? Where does it say 69% and 49%? I was told I had 44%.I attached my wife's results with this message.

under sperm data all the way to the right it says Tot Mot which is total motility and under it says 69.76

but at the very bottom it says you have >40% total motility.

some WBC cells are normal.

MTHFR deficiency is a mild condition associated with a slightly higher risk of neural tube defects and pregnancy loss. Roughly 40% of Americans are carriers of MTHFR deficiency, while 10% have the condition. For the vast majority, it causes no problems with their health or the health of their children.

Do I need to be concerned about WBCs? Why are only some normal? How about morphology?

you don't have to worry about WBC count

it is less than 2 million

so that is fine. doesn't mean there is infection.

let me know if you have other questions.

if done for now, please leave positive rating above the chat box so I can get credit for helping you today

we only get credit for helping clients after positive feedback

you can always reach me with "a question for Dr. David" in the medicine or oncology categories if you have any other questions

here is my website if you need to reach me again:

http://www.justanswer.com/medical/expert-dr-david/

Thanks for using JustAnswers.com

Thanks, ***** ***** for information about morphology....can you give us insight to that after re-reading the report?

your kruger score is >4% normal which is good, it would be better to be >14%

here are the levels of kruger score for morphology

Strict morphology score over 14 % normal: (normal; fertilizing capacity excellent)

Strict morphology score 4-14 % normal: (abnormal; possibly decreased or impaired fertilizing capacity)

Strict morphology score 0-3% normal: (abnormal; severe impairment or probable inability to fertilize.

I was told I had 0% morphology, where do you see 4%? Are you familiar with Kruger testing?

I am sorry. I was reading the WHO normal levels at the bottom as your results.

your WBC count is zero under Description. you have no WBC in your sperm.

the motility is good at 49% grade 0 which is the best motility

morphology is bad at 100% abnormal and 100% amorphous sperm.

does this mean we will be unable to have children due to the 100% abnormal morphology?

the chances are lowered because of teh abnormal morphology

but there is a chance with artificial IVF fertilization where they can take a sperm and implant it in an egg and implant the embryo into your wife to have a baby.

Ok....thanks, ***** ***** IUI? How dangerous and how painful is IVF for her?

IVF is not dangerous and is not painful.

IUI may not work for you if you have severe morphology problems in the sperm.

IVF should work for her.

the next step is to consult with an IVF specialist.

do you have an appointment?

Thanks for using JustAnswers.com

Dr. David, MD