How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Dr. Y. Your Own Question
Dr. Y.
Dr. Y., Urologist
Category: Urology
Satisfied Customers: 20389
Experience:  I am fellowship trained specializing in general urology and reconstructive urology.
Type Your Urology Question Here...
Dr. Y. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I had a problem eith my bladder a couple yesrs ago -burning

Customer Question

i had a problem eith my bladder a couple yesrs ago -burning etc felt lile a UTI. Dr test showed no infection. Had cytoscope and they found NOTHING - bur on and off i have pain, burning bloating and frequent urination. The pills that you take to eliminate pain for a yti help - but now im noticing black specs sometimes and/or white or tan colored flecks. what is going on. is this IC?
Submitted: 2 years ago.
Category: Urology
Expert:  Dr. Y. replied 2 years ago.

It is possible this may be interstitial cystitis. But it could also just be severe overactive bladder. If they have not put you on medication such as oxybutynin to stop bladder spasms, this is where I would recommend they start. If that doesn't work, then they may need to consider putting you on medication such as Elmiron to see if this helps treat your symptoms. This medication is designed to treat patients with interstitial cystitis. Hope this helps.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Thsnk you. Are the black tiny specs and what look to be pieces of skin normal? or now is there maybe something going on with kidneys or of course concerned about csncer ...
Expert:  Dr. Y. replied 2 years ago.

Those specs do not sound normal. It does not sound like it is cancer if your cystoscopy was normal. Those specs may be sloughing of the lining of the bladder which could be a sign of interstitial cystitis. You need to discuss this with your urologist.