Urology

Have Urology Questions? Ask a Urologist Online.

Ask a Doctor,

Urology

I am a 78 year old male that has been in relatively good

Customer Question
health; since retiring have been...
I am a 78 year old male that has been in relatively good health; since retiring have been drinking about 5 pints of tap ale for about 8 years. I woke up at 4:30 am , to go to the bathroom to urinate, Dark brow with red blood and blood clots then dark urine.
I started to drink water and drank about 1 litre urine lighter with 2 red blood clots about 1 inch no pain but they were large enough I could feel them pass.
I kept drinking water and started driving to Vancouver took a clear plastic container stopped and urinated , urine clear with one small red clot in centre stream.
Doctor order blood work GFR,67 (under 60 range) PSA 2.7 (under 6 acceptable range Creatine 4.9 acceptable range 70-90. all other test in acceptable range.
What possibilities in bladder other than cancer?
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Urology
Answered in 1 hour by:
8/27/2015
Urologist: Dr Basu, Board Certified Urologist replied 2 years ago
Dr Basu
Dr Basu, Board Certified Urologist

Hi there,

I understand your concerns.

Bleeding can be triggered by alcohol itself it is also a blood thinner.

Aspirin, ibuprofen or any other blood thinner can cause this commonly.

Kidney stone passing can cause profuse bleeding and then subsides shortly. This may not be noticed by initial blood clots and then clearing out with fluids make it more likely.

Your PSA level does not really suggest prostate cancer.

And normal kidney function tests rule out any kidney problem as well.

Given that your symptoms disappeared any other possibility is very unlikely.

Any recurrence of similar episode in future should warrant you to get a cystoscopy to rule out any precancerous bladder lesions.

Best wishes,
It was my pleasure to help you today.
If I have answered all your questions, Please rate my response Excellent (click on the smiley faces) under this chat box only.
Please bookmark my profile for asking further questions!
This is the link to my profile:
http://www.justanswer.com/medical/expert-mysticdoc/

Dr Basu
Dr Basu
Dr Basu, Board Certified Urologist