urologyguru
urologyguru, Urologist MD
Experience:  I am fellowship-trained MD Urologist in active practice. I treat all types of cases from genital, cancer, urinary, stone and incontinence.
76620768

I am scheduled for a prostate operation (TURP) to take place

Customer Question

I am scheduled for a prostate operation (TURP) to take place day after tomorrow. About
ten days ago I had an accident at work in which I got a puncture wound in my hand. Initially, the doctor prescribed Cephalexin (500 mg, four times a day, 5 days). I went back to doctor 3 days ago because it seemed to me then that the wound was slow in healing. The doctor augmented my prescription, same daily dose, same size capsule, four more
days. The doctor told me that the wound should be should be cured by the time of my scheduled surgery and it now seems very close to being cured. I will finish my prescription of Cephalexin at 6AM on the morning of my surgery if I go ahead with it. Do you think that I should or is there good reason to delay it.
Category: Urology
Expert:  urologyguru replied 2 years ago.
Hello! Thanks for allowing me to help you today. Please feel free to ask any follow up questions and positive feedback is much appreciated.
No I think it is safe to proceed.
If the wound wasn't close to being healed or if you had fevers or chills, then I would cancel or delay it.
Since that is not the case, you will have an uneventful operation.
I hope this helps. Please ask any follow up questions you have until you feel satisfied with your answer. Positive ratings are much appreciated!
------------------
This answer is not designed to and does not provide medical advice, professional diagnosis, opinion, treatment or services to you or to any other individual. Through this answer, urologyguru provides general information for educational purposes only. The information provided here is not a substitute for medical or professional care, and you should not use the information in place of a visit, call consultation or the advice of your physician or other healthcare provider. urologyguru is not liable or responsible for any advice, course of treatment, diagnosis or any other information, services or product you obtain through this site.
IF YOU BELIEVE YOU HAVE A MEDICAL EMERGENCY, YOU SHOULD IMMEDIATELY CALL 911 OR YOUR PHYSICIAN. If you believe you have any other health problem, or if you have any questions regarding your health or a medical condition, you should promptly consult your physician or other healthcare provider. Never disregard medical or professional advice, or delay seeking it, because of an answer here. Never rely on information on this website in place of seeking professional medical advice. You should also ask your physician or other healthcare provider to assist you in interpreting any information on this site, or in applying the information to your individual case.
Medical information changes constantly. Reliance on any information provided from this answer is solely at your own risk.