Urology

Have Urology Questions? Ask a Urologist Online.

Ask a Doctor,

Urology

I was born with a bladder defect that was corrected but left

Customer Question
me with resistance to antibiotics...
I was born with a bladder defect that was corrected but left me with resistance to antibiotics. A missed infection years ago left me with tendencies to infection. The last two years I needed dilations that resulted in problems healing and bad infections.
I need a antibiotic that iam not allergic to. Sufa drug macrobid levaquin iam allergic to. My current infection iam on cipro for 5 days now with slight improvement but chest pains. I take tachy meds coreg. I left a message with my dr. Assistance but they want
u to know what I can take? What are alternatives? My infections in the bladder have been e.coli and yeast in the bladder. The e.coli infections occurred since childhood but yeast started when a dr missed infection the lead to multiple infections. Alternatives
to cipro?
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Urology
Answered in 1 hour by:
8/7/2015
Urologist: Anthony Bray MD, Physician / Family Practice replied 2 years ago
Anthony Bray MD
Anthony Bray MD, Physician / Family Practice

Hello!

You as an individual do not have resistance to antibiotics. That is a common misunderstanding .A given infection with a given bacteria may be resistant to a number of antibiotics. In general bacterial resistance is more prevalent for about 2 months after you take a given antibiotic.

You may have for example E.coli infection and it may be resistant to antibiotics X and Y but perhaps sensitive to Z...so you may take Z for 10 days and clear it up...Later in 6 weeks perhaps you have another E. Coli infection --- it is tested and this second time this particular infection is resistant to Z and Y but is sensitive to antibiotic X..

So the above is an example of how resistance to antibiotics works. Resistance is specific to a bacterial population. Resistance is NOT a property of YOU!!

Now allergies or side effects are properties of YOU! If you get hives with Levaquin for example that is indeed a property specific to YOU!

The above situation that you describe your current UTI might respond to Augmentin or Keflex or Ceftin as a few examples ...

There are other choices possible ...

The urine may most typically not be sent for antibiotic sensitivity / resistance testing .. This may vary....empiric treatment is usually tried first and if you should have a more severe or kidney infection then the urine is usually then sent for testing vs antibiotics ...

I hope that this information is helpful for you.Let me know if you have further questions.I will be happy to get back with you. If my answers have been helpful and to your satisfaction then please remember to leave positive feedback Thank you and Best Regards,

Anthony Bray MD

Thank u . Ur answers were helpful but I never got ur text and was too sick to search for ur reply. Where can i give u praise? No smilies here.

Hello again,

You are very welcome. I'm not sure if there may be some glitch ...if my reply was sent as info request then that may have prevented you from being able to give feedback.

I hope that you are feeling better now! Let me know if you may have further questions or concerns.Take Care!

Anthony Bray MD

Anthony Bray MD
Anthony Bray MD