Dr. Y.
Dr. Y., Urologist
Experience:  I am fellowship trained specializing in general urology and reconstructive urology.
32613003

I did a 24 hr urine test and had a protein level of 70. Is

Customer Question

I did a 24 hr urine test and had a protein level of 70. Is it true everyone has protein in their 24 hr tests? All my labs came back in normal range. My egfr was 89. I am 39 yr old.
Category: Urology
Expert:  Dr. Tharun replied 2 years ago.

HI

Yes , it is true that there is minimal proteins in the urine which is normal. It is abnormal if they are above a particular level. So you don't need to worry unless it is above 150.

Dr.Tharun

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

My dipstick tests were all 2+. Is that bad?

24 Hour urine test is more accurate than on the spot dip sticks and if 24 hour sample is normal then you can just be on regular check ups.

Dr.Tharun

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Do u see anything alarming in my labs

Everything seems to be in normal range in the reports.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

So do you consider 70 minimal? Yes I know it's in normal range but is it considered minimal? Are there any signs of kidney disease

All normal perosns have proteins in the urine - normal is less than 150 mg / 24 hour sample. So 70 is within normal.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

So you don't see anything pointing in the direction of KD in my labs? Is 2+ high on a dipstick

Not in the blood and the urine tests. Did stick tests are just screening tests which have high false positive incidents. Positive dip sticks are later confirmed with detailed tests which give the actual picture.

Dr.Tharun

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Is 2+ 100mg? I had 3 different ones say 2+. That's why I was worried. Is the 24 hr test a detailed test like u mentioned

We have to believe the better test here and assume it is normal.

You can repeat the test after 4-6 weeks.

Dr.Tharun

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

But the 24 hr test is a detailed test right? Do I need to retest or just in a yr

yes , it is.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Retest in 1 yr? Do I need to before that since it was all normal. If I havr pain on my backside jn my ribs that wouldn't be kidney pain would it? More muscle?

Yes, you can retest in between 6- 12 months.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Is this kidney area where my pain is

Where is your pain?

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

My pain is at my hip area to upper buttocks. I think I slept funny the other day that's why my back hurt. It's better. My hip has bothered me for a month now. It is just an annoying pain. Still living a normal daily life

Hi

Hip and upper buttock pain usually is not kidney related.Flank pain and groin pain may be related to kidney

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Is your sciatic nerve on left or right

Sciatic nerve is both sides.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Would that be the right area? If so what can you do

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

We're my fist is is where my back was really bad. It much better today but still hurts if I move just right. It's below my bra line

Looks little high for kidney pain. It may be muscular in nature.