Dr. Y.
Dr. Y., Urologist
Experience:  I am fellowship trained specializing in general urology and reconstructive urology.
32613003

39 yr old healthy male here: about two weeks ago, and for no

Customer Question

39 yr old healthy male here:
hello. about two weeks ago, and for no particular reason my left testicle dropped, and remains, two inches lower than the right one. prior to this my entire life, they were both very similar in position.
now my left one hangs lifeless, with no voluntary cremasteric muscle response. the size and shape has been unaffected and unchanged, only the position and new lifelessness are the symptoms with some minor localized pain.
I have had 2 different ultra sounds both show normal operation and good blood flow. neither show signs of hernia, torsion, trauma, or hydroceles.
my urologist had prescribed Cipro in the event there is mild infection of the teste but he is not confident that an infection is even present. he has no explanation for the sudden drop in position of the teste, not for the general pain I feel.
any suggestions or guidance is appreciated
Category: Urology
Expert:  Dr. Tharun replied 2 years ago.

HI

Truly speaking there is no condition or pathology in literature which will explain your situation.

Did you notice this after some heavy lifting or straining ?

Did you notice any swelling or bulge in the groin - Evidence of hernia?

Do you have any problems while passing urine?

Dr.Tharun

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
none of the above. no signs of swelling, no signs of hernia, no bulge either visibly or with manual palpation of the specific and general area.it feels as if I have been kicked in the groin and as the day progresses the pain worsens, only to subside at night. presumably from inflaming it during the course of the day.in surfing the web, there are similar stories from others with the same affliction, so there has to be a reason and one that can be easily explained.

The most common explanation which could be given here is infection of the testicle or the epididymis. Infection and inflammation of the testicle or the epididymis can cause tissue edema in the nerves traveling along the spermatic cord and numb the cremaster. This could drop the testicle a bit.

Other causes are hydrocele, torsion testis, hernia which are readily diagnosed on an ultrasound.If two different ultrasounds didn't pick it , it is not there.

If it is infection/inflammation it should respond to the antibiotic and anti -inflammatory drugs. If you are not taking any anti -inflammatory drugs you can add one to the cipro - Motrin or Aleve.

Anatomically the left testis is always lower than the left one.One more condition which can cause pain is varicocele - dilated testicular veins. This could explain the pain sometimes. But this is also easily diagnosed on a Doppler scan of the spermatic cord.

If you have any questions, please let me know.

Dr.Tharun

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
honestly the answer you have provided is not much more than a rewording of my complaints and description of what over already been told. there was no new value added here. I'm searching for a new potential diagnosis, not a rehash of what I already know

Sorry you felt like that. But there is little explanation only. I would opt out of the question so that another expert can have a look at the problem. Take care.

Dr.Tharun

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
thank you doctor. I meant no disrespect by my comments, I'm merely looking for new insight and ideas to potential causes.cheers