How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask urologyguru Your Own Question
urologyguru, Urologist MD
Category: Urology
Satisfied Customers: 1111
Experience:  I am fellowship-trained MD Urologist in active practice. I treat all types of cases from genital, cancer, urinary, stone and incontinence.
Type Your Urology Question Here...
urologyguru is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My best friend's husband has suffered with pain in his penis

Customer Question

My best friend's husband has suffered with pain in his penis (only, except for past couple weeks is slight pain in left testicle) for nearly 1-1/2 years. He has tried everything shy of botox injections into the pelvic floor.
I happened upon an article out of Italy (2008) describing an US (MR prn) imaging of the flaccid then (after iv injection of a medication) an erect penis. I believe this could be a definitive test for him. Sexual activity is intact w/o deformity of the penis & there is not increased pain with erection.
When he mentioned it to his Urologist, the Dr. chuckled and said, "Why would we do that"? After my friend explained on her husband's behalf, he said to let him know what they found out. There is nothing more than he could do.
The website is Her husband is a wonderful mid 70's man of few words. When he said he thinks he is dying, his wife was stunned. He never says things to worry her in over 50 years of marriage. She is frightened for him because he has suffered for so long. Pain Management has been unable to acquire relief for him.
Do you know of any Dr. who can perform this diagnostic test in the US? My friends are located in the central IN area. Although travel is difficult (pain & decreased endurance), I know they would make it if necessary.
Thank you for your help for this lovely couple.
Sincerely, Linda
Submitted: 2 years ago.
Category: Urology
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I am afraid my friend's husband may have an undetected CA because he looks so ill. All labs as to major organ functions are normal but his weight remains quite low. All radiographics & lab related to a Whipple surgery about 6 months ago are excellent but the patient feels he is not going to make it. thx
Expert:  urologyguru replied 2 years ago.
Hello! Thanks for allowing me to help you today. Please feel free to ask any follow up questions and positive feedback is much appreciated.
I recommend seeing Matthew Mellon at Indiana university.
He is a reconstructive and cancer specialist and will be able to due the penile Doppler and if needed the MRI.
The pain could be from spread of cancer to the penis. The only way to find out is with the tests.
I hope this helps. Please ask any follow up questions you have until you feel satisfied with your answer. Positive ratings are much appreciated!
This answer is not designed to and does not provide medical advice, professional diagnosis, opinion, treatment or services to you or to any other individual. Through this answer, urologyguru provides general information for educational purposes only. The information provided here is not a substitute for medical or professional care, and you should not use the information in place of a visit, call consultation or the advice of your physician or other healthcare provider. urologyguru is not liable or responsible for any advice, course of treatment, diagnosis or any other information, services or product you obtain through this site.
IF YOU BELIEVE YOU HAVE A MEDICAL EMERGENCY, YOU SHOULD IMMEDIATELY CALL 911 OR YOUR PHYSICIAN. If you believe you have any other health problem, or if you have any questions regarding your health or a medical condition, you should promptly consult your physician or other healthcare provider. Never disregard medical or professional advice, or delay seeking it, because of an answer here. Never rely on information on this website in place of seeking professional medical advice. You should also ask your physician or other healthcare provider to assist you in interpreting any information on this site, or in applying the information to your individual case.
Medical information changes constantly. Reliance on any information provided from this answer is solely at your own risk.