Urology

Have Urology Questions? Ask a Urologist Online.

Ask a Doctor,

I seem to have blood in my semen I am 54 year male is this…

Customer Question
I seem to have blood...
I seem to have blood in my semen I am 54 year male is this normal
Submitted: 3 years ago.Category: Urology
6/20/2015
Urologist: Dr. Y., Urologist replied 3 years ago
Dr. Y.
Dr. Y., Urologist
Hello and thanks for trusting me to help you today. I look forward to working with you.
Blood in the semen is a common benign finding in men and is due to either inflammation of the ejaculatory ducts, prostatitis or trauma to the prostate from long periods of sitting or bike riding. The bleeding can take 6-8 weeks to clear up and the more you ejaculate, the sooner it clears up. At a minimum, you should see a urologist to have your PSA checked and your prostate examined to screen for prostate cancer. Hope this helps and please let me know if you have questions.