Urology

Have Urology Questions? Ask a Urologist Online.

Ask a Doctor,

In March I had a CT scan that showed a large cyst on a non…

Customer Question
In March I had a...
In March I had a CT scan that showed a large cyst on a non or limited functioning kidney. It appeared dark and misshaped compared to the other kidney. The urologist then did a scope of my bladder and said all was well there, no cancer cells. I was sent on my way and told to see him again in 3 months. I have had blood in my urine two or three times, but today, I have lots of bright read blood...more each time I urinate. There is no pain, I have no fever, I am just very tired. The doctor I saw is on vacation for the next two weeks, not sure what my next move should be. Suggestions?
Submitted: 3 years ago.Category: Urology
I should mention that I have Crohn's but am not in a current flare, have never had a resection, or fistula.
6/19/2015
Urologist: Dr. Tharun, Urology Resident replied 3 years ago
Dr. Tharun
Dr. Tharun, Urology Resident

I would advise you to go to the ER immediately as you may be dropping hemoglobin which may be causing the tiredness. Non functioning kidney can bleed especially if it has a large cyst. Small trivial trauma is enough to start the bleeding.

Usually such conditions are anaged conservatively followed by elective removal of kidney later. Only rarely an emergency neprhectomy needed if the bleeding is not stopping.

As the ct scan was done recently there may not be another cause for this bleeding than this cyst / kidney.

Sometimes blood thinners can cause such bleeding if you are taking one.

If you have any follow up questions, please let me know.

Dr.Tharun