Urology

Have Urology Questions? Ask a Urologist Online.

Ask a Doctor,

Should fluid input and urine output be the same over 24

Customer Question
hours? I have heard it...
Should fluid input and urine output be the same over 24 hours? I have heard it should be the same, and also that your body may need up to a liter a day so it wouldn't be equal. I have concerns about urine output being incredibly variable but I've had urinalysis
and kidney and liver function tests which are normal so doctor says whatever my body isn't expelling is what it needs and not to worry at all. I would say sometimes I urinate as much as I drink but sometimes quite a bit less.
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Urology
6/14/2015
Urologist: Dr. Y., Urologist replied 2 years ago
Dr. Y.
Dr. Y., Urologist
No, fluid intake does not equal fluid out quick. Your body loses fluid also breathing as well as perspiration and other modes of fluid loss. If your labs are normal, there's nothing to worry about.
Dr. Y.
Dr. Y.
Dr. Y., Urologist