Urology

Have Urology Questions? Ask a Urologist Online.

Ask a Doctor,

How does it affect my prostate. I have bph and it was

Customer Question
suggest that I get lazer...
how does it affect my prostate. I have bph and it was suggest that I get lazer surgery
Submitted: 3 years ago.Category: Urology
6/11/2015
Urologist: Dr. Y., Urologist replied 3 years ago
Dr. Y.
Dr. Y., Urologist
Hello and thanks for trusting me to help you today. I look forward to working with you.
A medication that can be prescribed to shrink the prostate is finasteride. Your urologist should consider prescribing this if your prostate is enlarged. If you are having very bad urinary symptoms or can't empty the bladder while of Flomax, then you may need to consider the laser surgery to open the prostate channel. The finasteride can help to shrink the prostate by about 30%. Hope this helps.