Urology

Have Urology Questions? Ask a Urologist Online.

Ask a Doctor,

I am a 34 year old female who started with urinary tract…

Customer Question
Hi there. I am a...
Hi there. I am a 34 year old female who started with urinary tract infections about 3 years ago. It seems to be triggered by even one episode of sex, but then it wont go away for months on end. The times I have had it cultured it would not usually come back as E-coli, but streptococcus, Staphylococcus and Proteus. I never have severe infection, but rather chronic low grade and I just feel miserable. Only lately have I felt a tender bladder and abdomen, burning sensation spreading from my groin to flanks and slightly nauseated. Its only mildly uncomfortable when I urinate. Previously I just felt nauseas and had no other symptoms other than urine analysis showing a mild infection. They did once find evidence of Schistosomiasis after which I had treatment and one radiologist felt she saw calcification, a thickened wall on one side and incomplete emptying. I take every and all preventative measures. Last night when I checked my urine in a glass it was so cloudy I could not see my finger through the glass. This morning when I went to the lab my urine was very clear and pale. Yesterday our weather was very hot and I sometimes retain water. Last night through the night I went to the loo twice and even this morning as the weather is cold I have been urinating a lot.
Todays analysis resulst:
Leuk: trace
Nit: -
Uro: normal
Pro: -
PH: 5
Blo: -
SG: 1.000
Ket: -
Bili: -
Glu: -
Epith: 6-8
PUS Cells: 3-5
RBC: 1-2
Others: Transitional epithelial cells seen.
So my questions are:
1. Does how much you urinate and consumer liquids affect a test? Because I dont understand how it can burn in my flanks and groin, I feel terrible and it only indicates a mild problem
2. Does the above indicate any type of infection at all?
3. If not what could be going on with my urinary tract as it definitely coincides with me feeling awful and antibiotics do make me feel better till about 2 weeks after I finish the course. The last course was levofloxacin 250mg for 10 days. I finished it 3 weeks ago.
Submitted: 3 years ago.Category: Urology
6/6/2015
Urologist: Dr. Y., Urologist replied 3 years ago
Dr. Y.
Dr. Y., Urologist
Hello and thanks for trusting me to help you today. I look forward to working with you.
1. No. The amount of liquid you consume will not affect the determination of an infection with a urinalysis
2. No. This does not look like a urine infection. It looks like a contaminated urine sample with the presence of the epithelial cells (skin cells). You need to give a new specimen.
3. You may be having low grade infections causing your symptoms. If you have not seen a urologist, you need to for an exam, and a test called a voiding cystourethrogram to evaluate for reflux of urine as the cause for infections.