Urology

Have Urology Questions? Ask a Urologist Online.

Ask a Doctor,

Urology

I am a Parkinsons patient (for 13 years ... 67 years old) I

Customer Question
I am a Parkinsons patient...
I am a Parkinsons patient (for 13 years ... 67 years old)
I take stelevo (2 years), sinimet (13 years) and selegilene (8 years)...
Recently I passed a clot of blood in my urine. I visited a new GP (who did not have a copy of my rather complex historical health issues).
He ordered A URINE TEST. RESULTS SHOWED A 'TRACE AMOUNT' OF BLOOD . I RE-DID THE URINE TEST - STILL A TRACE AMOUNT OF BLOOD.
At the time I was just in the process of going off of the Stelevo - it was causing some serious mental side-effect issues.
This new GP arranged an appointment with a urologist. Without seeing the urologist, I have been scheduled for a cystoscopy.
Note: I have found information on-line that indicates that some of the drugs that I take, as well as kidney stones, can lead to blood in the urine ...
I also have had prostrate cancer and have had two very difficult passings of kidney stones (surgery required to remove one).
I feel that this cystoscopy may be a bit pre-mature ... should I hold off of this procedure and monitor the situation with my regular GP with further urine tests, etc. prior to scheduling this more complex procedure (cystoscopy)??
Thank-you.
BH
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Urology
5/12/2015
Urologist: Dr. Y., Urologist replied 2 years ago
Dr. Y.
Dr. Y., Urologist
Hello and thanks for trusting me to help you today. I look forward to working with you.
How was your prostate cancer treated? Was it with surgery or radiation?
Do you have a history of smoking?
radiation seeding ... successful. last PSA test showed a virtually negligible result (the same as prior three years of twice yearly blood tests at the cancer clinic- which I am no longer visiting)NO HISTORY OF SNOKING
I MEAMT "SMOKING" (a typo)
OK. This bleeding may be coming from your bladder from radiation damage to the bladder. Butt he only way to find out is to do the cystoscopy and the CT scan. Anytime blood is visible, you must have a CT scan, mainly to rule out cancer of the urethra or bladder. This is the standard of care and is not overkill. Your doctor is providing you the correct recommendations. Hope this helps and let me know if you have further questions.
Dr. Y.
Dr. Y.
Dr. Y., Urologist