Dr. Rick, MD
Dr. Rick, MD, Board Certified MD
Experience:  20+ years as a doctor. Internal Medicine Internship in NYC
48069651

Please can you help. I have a daughter (20) who has Rett

Customer Question

Hi please can you help. I have a daughter (20) who has Rett Syndrome. for the past 3 years she has suffered intermittent bouts of pain in her left or right flank. Originally this happened occasionally, lasted a few days then she was fine do didn't think
anything of it and put it down to wind or constipation. Then noticed that she asked for toilet more often but seemed to have trouble going. Sometimes she would pass a small amount of urine then wet herself a short time later. Over time the pain became more
often and seemed be linked to her period, when taken to the gp her wee sample would show leukocytes and nitrites but when sent away for urinalysis would come bk clear. In each occasion she was treated with antibiotics and responded. Sometimes she would then
be fine for weeks, occasionally months but over time it has become more of an ongoing problem. She gas had a dozen uti in 2 years and been admitted to hospital on two occasions only to be released a few hours later after a drip of morphine and iv antibiotics.
Most homes now she has a brief spell of being ok but most days in pain. Has had several ultrasounds, wee samples, poo samples, full bloods taken plus kidney and liver function tests.. All clear. She has seen a gastroenterologist who prescribed sachets and
senokot for constipation, made no difference. Referred to a gynaecologist who thinks she may have endometriosis and has put her on back to back combined pill fr three months to see if that eases symptoms, we are a month and a half in and she had this latest
flare up start around ten days ago. Same symptoms, leukocytes and nitrites in wee sample last Wednesday. Given antibiotics but five days later no ease in symptoms but second wee sample clear. Has constant waves of pain that get worse before needing loo, trouble
utinating and intense pain, sometimes she will cry out with the pain and her leg will shake, often she pulls at her groin as if she trying to ease it, she says "wee wee stuck" and it sore and "itchy" not sure if she means itchy or tingle but obviously in a
lot of discomfort. Gynea wants to perform a laparoscopy but want to exhaust other options before putting her through that. Can't see how endometriosis would affect her urine sample but I not an expert...can it?? I have questioned kidney stones but doc keeps
saying it not because no blood in urine sample but I've read that's not always the case and I've read they don't always show on ultrasounds. Any ideas cus I sick of seeing her in pain and we keep drawing a blank?? Claire
Category: Urology
Expert:  Dr. Rick, MD replied 2 years ago.
Hi. My name is***** and I am online and available to help you today. Thank you for your patience.
Question and answer is just one of the services I offer. I can also provide you with additional services, such as live telephone consultation, at a small additional cost. Let me know if you are interested.
Do you have any other medical problems or take any medications?
This is not an answer, but an Information Request. I need this information to answer your question. Please reply, so I can answer your question. I look forward to helping you.
Well I think it might be time for you to take a very difficult, and bold, step to see if you can get some relief.
At this point I think the best thing for you to do would be to gather up copies of all your medical records and travel to a large University Teaching hospital. At an institution like that you could be evaluated and treated by a team of sub-specialists who are at the cutting edge of their respective fields. The best thing about these large teaching hospitals is that consultations are available with Professors and leaders in their field by just walking a few steps down the hall.
The Mayo Clinic in Rochester, Minnesota is an excellent example of just such a place as this. That being said there are many excellent teaching hospitals all across the country and I am sure that there is one near you.
I know that it is going to take significant effort on your part, but I believe that going to one of the "Medical Mecca's" is your best chance to – finally -- get to the bottom of what is going on.
Does this make sense to you?
I hope this information was helpful for you. But I do work for tips so I want to make sure you are happy with me before rating me. If you have another question on this or a related issue feel free to fire away. You may also receive an email survey after our chat, if you don’t feel that I have earned the top rating in all areas, please let me know what I can do to meet your expectations.
Thanks in advance,
Dr. Rick MD FACS