How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Dr. Y. Your Own Question
Dr. Y.
Dr. Y., Urologist
Category: Urology
Satisfied Customers: 20388
Experience:  I am fellowship trained specializing in general urology and reconstructive urology.
Type Your Urology Question Here...
Dr. Y. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I am 85 years old and suffer from a leaky bladder.....I have

This answer was rated:

I am 85 years old and suffer from a leaky bladder.....I have to wear pads day and night and want to know if there is a simple procedure that can be done to overcome this embarrassing situation. It is worse when I cough or laugh!!! Barb
Hello and thanks for trusting me to help you today. I look forward to working with you.
Are you healthy enough to have surgery?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

I guess I am healthy enough to have surgery - is it very expensive? What does it involve? Would I need to be hospitalized for very long? I will appreciate you answers.

At your age, you should be covered by Medicare, so it should be of minimal cost to you. You may benefit from surgical placement of a urethral sling to help to increase the resistance of urine flow so that it does not leak out. This typically involves an overnight hospital stay and is a very straightforward and common surgery performed in women. You should discuss this with your urologist to see if you are a candidate. Hope this helps.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Thank you for your help - I shall get in touch with my GP and have her refer me to have this surgery I think...Barfb I will not need you again....thank you

You're welcome. I wish you the best. Please don't forge to leave me a rating. Thanks.
Dr. Y. and other Urology Specialists are ready to help you