How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Dr. Tharun Your Own Question
Dr. Tharun
Dr. Tharun, Urology Resident
Category: Urology
Satisfied Customers: 3682
Experience:  MBBS, DNB surgery and presently working as Urology resident towards the degree of Urologist.
Type Your Urology Question Here...
Dr. Tharun is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I had kidney stones in April, but they never seemed to pass.

This answer was rated:

I had kidney stones in April, but they never seemed to pass.
Since then, I've had trouble peeing (scanty peeing) and it feels like I always need to pee. I take some antibiotics & cranberry pills and it goes away for a while. Then it comes right back.
Also, I don't know if it's connected or not, but they seem to coincide with painful bowel movements. PS. I've also gone 4 times today.
It's now August and am wondering if this will pass or if there is something else I need to concern myself with, ie. prostate.

Have you done a scan to see the size and location of the stones?

Do you have repeated urinary infections?

How is the blood creatinine level?

Have you done an urine exam recently?

Please let me know

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

I have done a scan and there was a dilation in my right kidney. The sixe of the stones were small. (I can't remember the exact size.)

I've had repeated urinary infections since.

I don't know my blood creatine level.

I last did a urine exam in May and there were still traces of blood in my urine.


You need to repeat the scan and see the current condition of the stones.
Also creatinine levels have to done to see the function of the kidneys.

Since you have a scanty urine flow, most probably you have some stones in the bladder which is causing the intermittent block.You are too young to have prostate enlargement.

Infections and trouble peeing for 3 months - both are indicators that you need to do something for the stones.

You need to see your doctor and discuss these options with him.


Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Which blood and urine tests should I take?

And what kind of specialists should I see to interpret the results.

Blood- Serum creatinine and blood urea.

Urine - Urine routine and Culture.

Any doctor can interpret the results as these are basic ones.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

MRI or ultrasound scan?

May be a CT scan would be the best for the stones.

Dr. Tharun and other Urology Specialists are ready to help you