How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Dr. Tharun Your Own Question
Dr. Tharun
Dr. Tharun, Urology Resident
Category: Urology
Satisfied Customers: 3682
Experience:  MBBS, DNB surgery and presently working as Urology resident towards the degree of Urologist.
Type Your Urology Question Here...
Dr. Tharun is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I get up 2-4 times a night to releive myself. I dont seem to

This answer was rated:

I get up 2-4 times a night to releive myself. I dont seem to empty out totally.
I have been getting a dull ache, not really painful, but very uncomfortable that it keeps me awake e
Do you have to strain to pass urine ?
Do you take any medications for prostate ?
Have you checked for prostate enlargement by rectal examination?
Any abdominal surgeries before?
Please let me know
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Hello Dr.

Yes, about 40% of the time of urination


Yes I have had digital examination, about 6 months ago

Yes, I had a hernia operation lower left hand side

about where bladder is.

I have had some adverse reactions sice then

mainly no sex drive, no sexual activity.

I was badly bruised from operation on left hand side of penis and scrotum. I then had a bladder infection,

was supplied 3days antibiotics. felt fine and a few days later infection reoccured. I wanted to urinate approx. 50 times per day and was passing little drops of blood, which I put down to bruising.

Hope this is sufficent.


Hello Peter,

This sense of incomplete emptying of the bladder and straining to pass urine may be due to enlarged prostate gland.

Prostate enlargement can obstruct the urinary pathway by narrowing it.So this can produce the straining to pass urine which in turn will result in pain and incomplete emptying if the bladder.

This enlargement is also known as BPH- benign prostatic hypertrophy.This is a very common condition seen in elderly men.This can be easily managed with medications.

The commonly used drugs are alfuzosin, tamsulosin and silodosin.They will relax the prostate gland and make urinating much more easier.Also hormone drugs known as finasteride and dutasteride are used to shrink the prostate and hence can help in passing more freely than now.

You should discuss this with your doctor and try the medications for the prostate.Most of the times this should take care of the problem and return you to normalcy.

I hope this answers your question.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Can you explain the continuous ache down by my bladder, just above my penis?


This could be due to many reasons like muscle ache, bladder or prostate infection, stones, scars.

Infection would have associated symptoms like burning while passing urine, fever etc.The straining also can produce the ache as you contract your lower abdominal muscles to pass urine.This could fatigue the muscles and result in the pain.
Sometimes there could be some nerve damage during the hernia surgery and this can produce chronic pain.

So you can see that this pain could have many reasons and you require further tests to come to one diagnosis.Seeing a doctor would be very beneficial as you seem to have this problem for quite some time now.


Dr. Tharun and other Urology Specialists are ready to help you