How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Dr. Tharun Your Own Question
Dr. Tharun
Dr. Tharun, Urology Resident
Category: Urology
Satisfied Customers: 3682
Experience:  MBBS, DNB surgery and presently working as Urology resident towards the degree of Urologist.
Type Your Urology Question Here...
Dr. Tharun is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I'm a 30 years old male. Just recently, I realized that I

This answer was rated:

I'm a 30 years old male. Just recently, I realized that I have phimosis. I specifically remember that in my teens and early 20s I was able to retract my foreskin almost fully. Now, I can retract by no more than a quarter of the way. I didn't notice at first, but it seems to have slowly worsened over the last couple of years or so. Sex without condoms feels quite uncomfortable. One suspicion I have is some sort of yeast infection/candidiasis, since there is some dry white skin/cells along one side of the inner "wall" of my foreskin. Also, my tongue gets white within 2-3 days if I don't brush it off.
What I would like to know is what could have caused this, and what can I do about it other than going through circumcision.
The only reason why the normal elastic skin became tough and non retractable is that it is replaced by fibrous tissue due to scarring and inflammation.
It can happen due to repeated bacterial infection or yeast infection. Usually once formed they are hardly reversible and most of the cases end up in circumcision.
Some times it can be due to inflammation only without infection. An example is balanitis xerotica which also causes white discoloration of the foreskin.
However there is limited role of steroid ointments which can be applied for 6 weeks and at the same time foreskin can be gently stretched on daily basis. If this fails then the next option is circumcision.
Before that if there is active evidence of infection, it should be treated with antibiotics or anti- fungals. Only after this steroids should be tried.
I hope this answers your question.
Dr. Tharun and other Urology Specialists are ready to help you
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

What kind of steroid ointments are used to treat this? What about antibiotics?

For "foreskin can be gently stretched on daily basis", how exactly is it done? Are there any reliable and doctor-approved guides on this subject?


Usually betamethasone ointments can be used.

Antibiotics should be used if there is evidence of infection.Otherwise there is no use of using them.

Foreskin can stretched by pulling back the foreskin on a erect penis to make it tight over the head of the penis.It should uncomfortable but not painful.This can be done 2 times a day for 6 weeks.If it is helping then it can be continued for some more time.If not then you should see your doctor for further options.


Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Relist: Answer quality.
The response seems be "cut & paste", little details and personalization to original question.