How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Dr. Tharun Your Own Question
Dr. Tharun
Dr. Tharun, Urology Resident
Category: Urology
Satisfied Customers: 3682
Experience:  MBBS, DNB surgery and presently working as Urology resident towards the degree of Urologist.
Type Your Urology Question Here...
Dr. Tharun is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I am 21 years old and I have been experiencing ED, sometimes

This answer was rated:

I am 21 years old and I have been experiencing ED, sometimes my penis works fine and other times Iwill not get hard at all. It seems to come in waves, what can I do?

Since when you are facing this problem?

In between you have absolutely normal erections?

Do you have the sexual desire ?

Any medical illness?

Do you smoke or drink alcohol?

Any back pain or spinal injury?

Any anxiety issues ? Stress?

Please let me know.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
I think it began early this year, It happened before but only when I had drank or tried to use a condom.
I have the desire sometimes where I feel horny but I cannot get an erection
In between I don't really get erections though, but I do when making out sometimes.
I have no medical issues besides hemmorhoids
I smoke and drink socially.
No back pain or spinal injury.
I get anxiety in the bedroom now fearing my penis won't work.
HI Gregory,

There could be two reasons for this condition.

One is anxiety and performance related which is the most common cause seen in this age group.

Second is decreased testosterone levels in the body.Testosterone is produced by the testes and helps in the maintaining the sexual desire and also erection.

So first of all you should see a doctor who can examine you and order blood test for testosterone levels.

If it is low then it can be supplemented with testosterone gel which can be applied to the skin.

If it is psychological then medications can be used to decreased the anxiety which will help with the erection process.

Sometimes block in the blood vessel to the penis can cause such problem.But that is only seen in old patients or young patients who have met with accidents with injury to the pelvic region.Since you have no such history this possibility is ruled out.

Dapoxetine and Viagra can be taken which will help you in erections as well as the natural desire.This will allow you to attain erections.Once you are confident and not anxious anymore these medications can be slowly weaned off.

I hope this helps you tackle your problem better.


Dr. Tharun and other Urology Specialists are ready to help you