How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Dr. Tharun Your Own Question
Dr. Tharun
Dr. Tharun, Urology Resident
Category: Urology
Satisfied Customers: 3682
Experience:  MBBS, DNB surgery and presently working as Urology resident towards the degree of Urologist.
Type Your Urology Question Here...
Dr. Tharun is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

About a month ago, I was hit in left testicle with a plastic

This answer was rated:

About a month ago, I was hit in left testicle with a plastic hockey ball. Pain eventually subsided later that day. Two weeks later, while playing with my nephew I got hit in the same testicle, although not as bad as with the hockey ball. Now, for the last week or so I am feeling a dull pressure/pain behind my left testicle. It goes up into my left abdomen, and sometimes in my lower left back. I have no problems urinating or ejaculating. However I haven't been having bowel movements as frequent as normal.The ache seems to go away when I am active but returns once I sit down to rest. There does not seem to be swelling of the testicle but it seems like the scrotum has fluid on the left side. It is not a sharp pain by any means, just a dull ache or pressure feeling in that whole area.

Is there any redness or redness over the injured testicle?

Do you have fever?

Have you done a scan of the scrotum?

Please let me know

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

No redness, no fever. other than the slight discomfort, I feel ok. I have felt the scrotum for lumps, but there does not seem to be anything out of the ordinary. the discomfort seems to be behind the left testicle going up into my pelvis. Like I said not a major pain, but sometimes I do get stomach cramps.

Hello Pete,
The trauma to the testicle can induce some inflammation as Well as a small blood collection around the testicle. This can be the reason for the pain in the region.
Sometimes there could be minor infection. A scrotal ultrasound would be very beneficial in this case to come to a conclusion.
If it is simple inflammation then time and mild anti inflammatory medications will correct the problem. Even if it is a small collection, it will slowly subside and get absorbed
I hope this helps you .
Dr. Tharun and other Urology Specialists are ready to help you
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Hello Dr. Tharun,

I ended up going to a urologist and he did an ultrasound and said everything looked fine and I should feel better in 3 weeks. He gave me Cipro, just in case there was an infection. I still had discomfort that was now in my groin area, pelvis area, in my scrotum and in my penis during erection or ejaculation. There was no sign of infection, just a slight discomfort. I went for a follow up and what he thinks is that I have a minor hernia. No buldge in groin but he said I may have a sheer or stretching of the cord that goes from my abdomen down to my testicles. He said it takes about 4-6 weeks to heal. I am just looking for a second opinion, to make sure that diagnosis seemed correct.

Thank you,


HI Pete,

Welcome back.It is rare to have hernia at this age unless you have history of severe straining for long time.
Hernia would be detected on an ultrasound scan if done in a standing position and coughing.

Testicular injuries are notorious for such long term pain and discomfort.It could induce chronic epididymitis which could present like this.
There is no definitive treatment for this other than taking painkillers and anti-inflammatory drugs for the pain.

If your doctor suspects a hernia, it will be better if you repeat the scan and this time get it done in standing position with coughing.It will detect even small hernias.

Other than that wear good scrotal support.


Customer: replied 4 years ago.

I am an athletic person and I have a job that requires heavy lifting. He told me that sometimes people come in with buldges the size of golfballs, but mine was probably just a minor stretching/sheer of the cord. He felt around in my scrotum, felt my testicles and felt around near my groin while lying down. I do not have the discomfort constantly, it seems more discomforting when my bladder is full or upon ejaculation but then it goes away. I plan to go to my regular doctor to get a full physical shortly.


Then there may be a hernia indeed.But hernia has no relation to bladder fullness and ejaculation.They are way apart.But the groin pain could be explained by a hernia.

The bladder pain and ejaculation discomfort may be because of prostate inflammation.Again this is a stubborn condition we are talking about and treatment is not single shot.
A combination of drugs like painkillers, muscle relaxants , alfa blockers and hormone blockers are used for this condition.Sometimes sedatives and anti-anxiety medications are also given to treat this condition.

You can do an ultrasound scan and rule out the hernia.Then prostate inflammation can be given a thought and the treatment options can be tried to see if it helps.


Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Yes, I told him that I thought I may have an infection. I brought up Prostatitis, but he did not seem to interested in that when I told him that there was no blood in my urine. I also asked that if my bladder was full, could that put pressure on the hernia and cause the discomfort and he told me yes. Both times I went to the urologist, he did not do any tests for infection, however when he gave me a five day treatment of Cipro it caused the urination problems to stop. I still get the discomfort near my groin, scrotum, and left side, but only with a full bladder or during the actual ejaculation process. But then it goes away right after.


Prostate infection can also respond to Cipro, but it has to be taken for 4 weeks in case of prostatitis as it is a deep seated organ.So it is generally recommended to take Cipro for 4 weeks in cases of prostatitis.

You can request your doctor to prescribe Cipro for 4 weeks and see if it cures you.If it works then nothing better than that.