Urology

Have Urology Questions? Ask a Urologist Online.

Ask a Doctor,

Urology

My husband lawrence huber had a bladder removed because he

Customer Question
had a cancerous size...
my husband lawrence huber had a bladder removed because he had a cancerous size tumor removed fron his bladder. my question is should an internest doctor give a new patient a urine test once a year so his cancer wouold have been small not the size of a tennis ball for them to take his bladder out---early diagnosis-the s the rule for stopping cancer to grow very large
Submitted: 5 years ago.Category: Urology
5/11/2012
Urologist: Dr. Y., Urologist replied 5 years ago
Dr. Y.
Dr. Y., Urologist
Thanks for your question. If I don't respond to you immediately, it is because I am either in the OR or traveling. I WILL get back to you ASAP.
No, screening for bladder cancer is not recommended by the American cancer society or any urology Society because bladder cancer is not a common cancer. If we were to screen every person in the world for bladder cancer, we would spend billions of dollars to diagnose only a small number of cancers . If a person has a urine test for other reasons and blood is detected in the urine, then this is when an evaluation for bladder cancer should be performed. Hope this helps.
Dr. Y.
Dr. Y., Urologist
Dr. Y.
Dr. Y.
Dr. Y., Urologist