How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask DR JONES Your Own Question
Category: Urology
Satisfied Customers: 3907
Experience:  MBBS MD.Experience of 10 years in diagnosing and handling all types of medical emergencies.
Type Your Urology Question Here...
DR JONES is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

Ive been having sharp pains in my groin area for some time

Customer Question

I've been having sharp pains in my groin area for some time now. The first time I went to my family Dr. he checked my prostate and said it was inflammed and that I had an infection. I took some antibiodics and it seemed to go away, it really didn't the pains were just not as often. About 6 months ago I started getting pains daily, and could kinda pinpoint the area. I went back to my Dr. and he gave me another hernia check, and said I was fine. He did say he could feel some abnormalities though. I have a couple of hard spots around my left testicle, the base of my penis, and a couple of inches above my penis all on the left. I was born with a double hernia, and when I was 15 had another hernia on the left. I went to a general surgeon, same hernia exam (no hernia) but he actual squeezed my testicles and pushed around the area. Said he thought it might be a build up of scar tissue and I needed to see a Urologist (i was in severe pain after the exam). I finally get in to see a Urologist, and basiclly the same exam as general surgeon, except he did a prostate exam as well. Said I check out ok, and that I might have some scar tissue causing the discomfort, take some pain pills when it hurts and that this is how it's going to be. The weeks between general surgeon and Urologist I was having one of the pains and my 4yr old accidentally hit me in the groin, and I passed out from the pain. This is normal, and I have to live with it the rest of my life? I'm only 33 and it effects everything in my day to day life.
Help Please
Sean M. O'Connor
Submitted: 5 years ago.
Category: Urology
Expert:  DR JONES replied 5 years ago.
Hello.Welcome to justanswer and thanks for the detailed question.In view of details I think you should get a ultrasound of pelvis,groin and scrotum region done.This can help evaluate your prostate,hernial sites and even testis.Your pain is quiet significant to pass it off as normal.If ultrasound shows everything is fine then you can relax and wait for symptoms to resolve.But there are many issues which cannot be easily picked up on regular examination so its recommended to get ultrasound done.Please ask if there are doubts or if you want me to explain anything.Regards.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Thank you for your time, I forgot to mention I did get a ultrasound done before the Urologist visit and it said everything was ok. I know my body and my pain tolerance is high and this is not OK.
Thanks again,
Expert:  DR JONES replied 5 years ago.
Did doctor checked blood supply to testis during ultrasound? This is called color Doppler of testis.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Yes, said it was fine. I don't know for sure what causes the pain. I know that squeezing my left testicle or pushing it causes the pain, and sometimes after holding a bowel movement too long i get the pain, and sometimes that's when It's the worst.
Thanks again,
Expert:  DR JONES replied 5 years ago.
From the details it seems you are getting intermittent partial torsion of the testis.In torsion the testis gets rotates around its self intermittently and this causes severe pain.Squeezing is important cause which can lead to torsion.Since it is intermittent it may not be picked up if the examination or ultrasound is done when the torsion is relieved.Pain of torsion is typically severe.Small jerk or accidental hit also can cause torsion and pain.I think you need to have talk with urologist once again without delay.And if that's not possible get a second opinion.A complete torsion of testis is kind of emergency.So it would be ideal to see doctor before it progresses.Please ask if there are doubts or if you want me to explain anything.Regards
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
I'm sorry it took me so long to get back with you. I'm currently at my family Dr's getting a referral to another urolgist, after I see him I will leave my feedback if that's OK? It seems like the situation I am in, I just want to make sure.
Expert:  DR JONES replied 5 years ago.
Yes, you can do that after you see the doctor.Please let me know what your said.Regards.
DR JONES and other Urology Specialists are ready to help you
Customer: replied 5 years ago.

My Family Dr. concurred with you, I am meeting a surgeon at the end of this week. We will see what he wants to do, at least now I know what is going on.

Thanks again.


Expert:  DR JONES replied 5 years ago.
Please do see surgeon sooner.And if symptoms progress and more severe pain develops seek urgent care.Thank you.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Dr. Jones,
Thank you for following up, I did go to another Urologist. He basically said the same thing as the last one, and that it's scar tissue. He didn't say it in so many words but I think whoever did my last hernia surgery screwed something up. I shaved the whole area and to my surprise there is a large scar. I have always felt it, but never really looked to see how big it is. I said he thinks they might have put a couple of stitches through my sensory nerve. He said he doesn't think its intermittent torsion, but gave me a slip to take next time I'm having the pain and get a Doppler scan. Unfortunately for me every time I have had an episode none of the places are open. So I am basically back in the same spot I was a couple of weeks ago, and might have to accept that I am going to have this pain forever.
Thanks Again,