Urology

Have Urology Questions? Ask a Urologist Online.

Ask a Doctor,

Urology

I am a 61 year old male. My PSA has always been about 1.8 to

Customer Question
I am a 61 year...
I am a 61 year old male. My PSA has always been about 1.8 to 1.9. My most recent test was 2.9. There has been a lot of controversy lately about PSA numbers and what they mean. Should this be a concern and what steps do I need to take.
Submitted: 5 years ago.Category: Urology
5/4/2012
Urologist: Dr. Tharun, Urology Resident replied 5 years ago
Dr. Tharun
Dr. Tharun, Urology Resident
Hi

What was the time interval between the last two tests(1.9 & 2.9)?

Was a digital rectal exam done ?

Do you have prostate symptoms ?

Please let me know
It was a year since the last psa test. I get a blood test every six months for slightly elevated blood sugar. The test results came afer I left the office so I have not had an exam for a year. I have no symptoms that I know of. I have no problems urinating and sleep about 7hrs at night without having to get up to go.
Hello

Thanks for replying.

The PSA level is still less than 4 which is the cut off for the further tests.

Only thing is PSA jump of more than 0.75 in a year should be investigated according to the protocol.But this dictum fails justification when total PSA is less than 4 according to the studies.

You can still wait and watch and repeat the PSA after 6 months or after a course of antibiotics for 6 weeks to see if falls again as PSA often raises in infection which may not be very symptomatic.

Digital rectal exam is important when PSA values are less than 4 .

I hope this helps you

REgards

Dr.Tharun
Dr. Tharun
Dr. Tharun, Urology Resident
Dr. Tharun
Dr. Tharun
Dr. Tharun, Urology Resident