Urology

Have Urology Questions? Ask a Urologist Online.

Ask a Doctor,

Sxxxx age 72. Have just had a response asking for £42, but I…

Bruce Sxxxx age 72....
Bruce Sxxxx age 72. Have just had a response asking for £42, but I don't know where the appointment is going to be held - or is it just on line?
3/12/2012
Camille-Mod

Hi, I’m a moderator for this topic and I wonder whether you’re still waiting for an answer. If you are, please let me know and I will do my best to find an Expert to assist you right away. If not, feel free to let me know and I will cancel this question for you. Thank you!

Yes, I would like an answer to the question: Is your communication with me going to be a series of emails, a telephone conversation or a face-to-face appointment?

HI, you will receive an email notification when an Expert has responded to your question. Thank you for your continued patience:-)
Dr. Pauline
Dr. Pauline, Doctor

Hello, I am afraid that I cannnot read your previous question...can you repeat it?

We will be corresponding by messages going backwards & forwards, is this alright with you?

Hello, again. Sorry, but I confused you by sending 2 messages with half the information in each.

I am a 72-year-old male with incontinence. I wear masses of padding around me at night, but I still leak. So the washing machine is being used a lot!

I was prescribed Tamsulosine about 15 months ago to help the flow, and until recently I've taken that in the mornings. Then 8 months ago I started on Finasteride, which might or might not be doing any good, it's hard to tell. Then last week I was started on Tolterodine, but it doesn't have much effect and it gives me massive headaches. The doctor said to cut out Tamsulosine while I took the Tolt. because they probably had opposite effects. Now I take neither. But I stick to the Finasteride.

I've cut down my fluid intake, I don't drink any alcohol, but the problem persists. Trouble is, my kidneys don't function all that well - blood test established a score of 49 when 60 would be desirable, if that makes sense. So perhaps the fluid I release between 5 & 7 am could have been in my system for a long time.

Anyway, my nights are long, with an average of 5 awakenings to pee, and rarely more than 2 hours sleep on the trot. This is a recent thing: only a month ago I was waking twice a night at most. Perhaps a form of catheter would be a good idea?

I hope that has cleared up some of your questions.

Sincerely

Bruce

Thank you. Sometimes, finding the right Expert can take a little longer than expected and we thank you greatly for your understanding. We’ll be in touch again shortly:-)

This is Dr. David

the kidneys sound weak with a low glomerular filtration rate of

sounds like you have enlarge prostate and are taking finesteride to try to shrink your prostate. this is causing urinary retention with the urine having a hard time coming out so you are urinating only a little bit each night and having to go frequently. it is unusual to also see urinary incontience with this as well unless you have had some prostate surgery in the past.

also if your urinary flow problems are worse at night, you should be taking the tamsulosin or Flomax at night. two pills would be maximun dose.

but you are also having urinary leaking and incontience while not having good urine flow?

Hi Dr David:

Did you imply that Finasteride was causing urinary retention? If so, should I give it up?

Incidentally, I have had no prostate surgery in the past, but yes, I seem to have both incontinence and bad flow at the same time!

no, finasteride does not cause urinary retention. finasteride shrinks the prostate over time, but it can only do so much shrinking of the prostate. it is your enlarged prostate which is causing you urinary retention and difficulty urinating. do you know how large your prostate is?

you should try to take it at night, 2 flomax (tamsulosin ) pills before you go to bed if your urine flow problems are worse at night. it can decrease your blood pressure and cause you to feel light headed, but this is less of an issue at night if you are in bed.

problems with incontinence and poor urine flow is tought to fight.

one way to treat this is with self catheterization. you get taught how to incert a clean catheter into your penis with lubricant, past the prostate and into the bladder, this can be done before you go to bed, and this way you empty your bladder completely before you go to bed through the catheter and then wear a diaper to control any leakage and hopefully you can get some sleep like this. talk to your doctors about this option to do 2-3 times a day.
The tamsulosine at night worked wonders. Thanks so much.
thanks for the feedback.

I'm glad this has helped.

please leave positive feedback if you haven't

Thanks for using JustAnswers.com