How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Dr. Y. Your Own Question
Dr. Y.
Dr. Y., Urologist
Category: Urology
Satisfied Customers: 20385
Experience:  I am fellowship trained specializing in general urology and reconstructive urology.
Type Your Urology Question Here...
Dr. Y. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

how do you correct a lazy bladder

Resolved Question:

how do you correct a lazy bladder
Submitted: 5 years ago.
Category: Urology
Expert:  Dr. Y. replied 5 years ago.
Hi there,

Thanks for your question. If I don't respond immediately, it is because I am either in the OR or traveling. I will get back to you ASAP.

What do you mean by a lazy bladder? Are you not able to empty it?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Still having tests, but this morning after a pelvic ultrasound it looked as though the bladder was not emptying well enough, as the technician said to empty as it was too full and when I did it still looks like a fair still retained in the bladder. Haven't got results yet from GP. I do have a Urodynamics test to yet be done, but is this only done by a Urologist?. My symptoms are frequent urinating, a heaviness across pelvis area. Also it feels like a sensation of inflammation towards the end of the Urethra, which is the symptom I notice most. Every so often for a few yrs now when I needed to go, I felt a inflamation type of feeling when I needed to go in the Urethra, but didn't hurt when going, but now it is with me all the time, so guess its become more chronic.
Expert:  Dr. Y. replied 5 years ago.
The next step is to have the urodynamics test done to see what the underlying problem is. This can be done by a urologist or a gynecologist. If the bladder is not squeezing correctly, then you may be a candidate to have a bladder pacemaker called InterStim placed to get the bladder to contract again.

It is also possible that this pain is due to a condition called interstitial cystitis (IC) where the lining of the bladder is abnormal and makes you feel like you have a UTI or bladder pain. You may need to get in to see a urologist for an exam and a test called cystoscopy to look in the bladder to see if you may have this condition. If you do, then you may be a candidate for a medication called Elmiron to help restore the normal lining of the bladder and stop the pain. Medications such as amytryptiline and DMSO can help treat IC symptoms as well. Hope this helps
Dr. Y. and other Urology Specialists are ready to help you