How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask DrKnowsBest Your Own Question
DrKnowsBest, Family practitioner
Category: Urology
Satisfied Customers: 1496
Experience:  womens health and peds specialty, vast urology experience
Type Your Urology Question Here...
DrKnowsBest is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My husband is diagnose with enlarge prostate, the doctor

Resolved Question:

my husband is diagnose with enlarge prostate, the doctor said its the size of a teacup and he should do surgery or else he will have to use the bag because its pressing against the bladder, I would like to know if that is the best thing to do.
Submitted: 5 years ago.
Category: Urology
Expert:  DrKnowsBest replied 5 years ago.

i would certainly try the medication for at least a month if he is able to empty his bladder at this point. Unfortunately the potency of prostate medications and ability to decrease size (as opposed to decreasing further growth) is not so great. In that time though i would get a second opinion from another urologist. saw palmetto herbal helps as well. less invasive treatment options include laser or thermal treatment to shrink (this is obviously somewhat invasive but less so than TURP surgery). the effectiveness in severe cases is best with surgery though.

good luck

DrKnowsBest and other Urology Specialists are ready to help you