Dr. Y.
Dr. Y., Urologist
Experience:  I am fellowship trained specializing in general urology and reconstructive urology.
32613003

I had a kidney stone other day that passed very faint trace

Hi I had a kidney stone other day that passed very faint trace of blood in my urine they said I must of scraped the inside a bit. got a ct scan found out I have a 3mm stone in my right pole area also. that was 2 days ago I found this out. yesterday the tip of my penis has now got a contant stinging feeling But it does not sting at all when I go to the toliet or ejaculate.Stinging is right at the end no other problems at all it just getting to be a bit annoying atm. I have been taking some lemon drinks to last few days as doctors said it helps with kidney stones. I normally dont drink much water and last 3 days i have been drinking around 1.5 litres compared to like 300ml a day
Hi there,

Thanks for your question. If I don't respond immediately, it is because I am either in the OR or traveling. I will get back to you ASAP.

This stinging is likely due to irritation of the tissue on the inside of the urethra from the recent passage of the stone. It can occur for 7-10 days after the stone passed while the tissue heals. You can take some ibuprofen to help with the pain in the meantime. Otherwise, there is not much else you can do besides what you are already taking. Hope this helps.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Ok thanks yeh the stinging started the next day. The 3mm stone I have in my right kidnet will that size pass fine I have been taking lemon drinks to doctors told me help with stone keeping size down. So yeh last 2 days been drinking lemon drinks and I normally dont drink lot of water like 2 glasses a day. Now I have started to drink around 6-8 a day in the last few days as well. But yeh constant stinging no blood or any other signs or symptoms. Could the other stone have passed as well maybe or not. thanks john
The other stone probably did not pass. Lemon juice or real lemonade will help to prevent further stone formation, but it will not get rid of the one you have. You need to keep drinking the 6-8 glasses of water everyday to try to flush the other stone out. Hope this helps.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
thanks will a 3mm stone it is a calicuim stone pass fine without to many problems and what size stone would i have to start to worry about not passing hate thought of surgery. thanks again john
A 3 mm stone has an 80-90% chance of passing on its own. You have to start worrying once a stone gets to be 7-8 mm in size
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
thanks one last question should of asked with last question 3mm stone how long would it normally take to form to that size I do normally drink lot of coffee no water but thats all gonna change as of few days ago. WHat time frame would I be looking at min - max for the stone I have now to pass thanks again john
It can take 6-12 months for a 3 mm stone to form. There is no way to predict when that stone will pass. It could be tomorrow or not at all.