Urology

Have Urology Questions? Ask a Urologist Online.

Ask a Doctor,

Urology

The head of my penis has been cold to the touch for about 2

Customer Question
years now. When I...
The head of my penis has been cold to the touch for about 2 years now. When I sit for prolonged times, the head gets sore. If I stand or walk, it feels normal. I feel the best after a nice shower or bath. But sometimes it just gets so cold, I can feel the pain of it being that cold. About 2 1/2 years ago, I contracted chlamydia, or so the doctors thought. I took a bunch of different antibiotics, and some seemed to help a bit, but the symptoms always return. If I become aroused, it feels better as well. Any ideas?
Submitted: 6 years ago.Category: Urology
9/6/2011
Urologist: Dr. Chip, General Practice replied 6 years ago
Dr. Chip
Dr. Chip, General Practice
the head actually is cold and, may I ask, has anyone else felt it and agreed? Is the head white and looking as if there's little blood in it? Can you describe the pain you mentioned?
My girlfriend as noticed as well.

There is no color difference. It looks like it always did.

The pain feels like when your hands are in the snow too long or if your skin gets rubbed raw. There is no pain during urination but after sexual activity, there is evidence of leakage on my underwear. Sometimes I can feel it leaking. Just a tiny bit though. Nothing like when I had chlamydia.
Is it just the head? Any problem with your back?
Hello?
Did you get my last question?
No back pains and yes it is just the head that is cold.
When you say the pain of feeling cold, are you actually talking about a kind of burning feeling?
I would have to say yes to that. It is kind of a burning feeling, like leaving an ice cube on your skin too long.
if you squeeze the head, does it blanch--turn white--and then regain its normal color in a very few seconds?
just did that and it took to the count of 3 to return to normal.
OK--so you haven't seen a doctor about this in quite some time?
The last time was about 1 year ago. He said he couldn't detect anything from a swab test, so he was hesitent to prescribe anything.
there is no actual tenderness or burning on urination?
No burning on urination. I wouldn't say tenderness, but after a day in jeans, my head feels raw. After a shower, things go back to normal...for awhile.
OK. You seem to be describing what I would call a neuralgia of the glans--a nerve inflammation problem. This could be the head itself, or possibly referred pain from a spinal condition. I'd suggest you see a Urologist and a Neurologist for evaluation for this.
these are not signs of any STD or HIV or anything like that? What would be some common causes for this???
I don't think this is an STD, although if you haven't been tested for one lately you should. A neuropathy, if it were more generalized than just your penis, can be from autoimmune disorders, vitamin deficiencies, thyroid disorders, and even multiple sclerosis. If you had the problem, say, in your feet or legs, I'd be more inclined to work you up.
Dr. Chip
Dr. Chip, General Practice
Dr. Chip
Dr. Chip
Dr. Chip, General Practice