Urology

Have Urology Questions? Ask a Urologist Online.

Ask a Doctor,

What would cause the bladder to retain urine even after

Customer Question
urination? A pelvic ultrasound revealed...
What would cause the bladder to retain urine even after urination? A pelvic ultrasound revealed that I retain about 130 cc of urine from a 410 cc bladder capacity.
Submitted: 7 years ago.Category: Urology
7/26/2011
Urologist: Urologist,M.D., Urologist replied 7 years ago
Urologist,M.D.
Urologist,M.D., Urologist

Hello there,
Please be patient, as I may be in the operating room, with a patient, or driving but will get back to you ASAP.

This is very likely due to your prostate causing some degree of obstruction even though it feels fine on exam. Your prostate enlarges as you age and can cause some blockage and therefore urinary retention. Also, if your prostate tone is increased it can also lead to blockage and retention. The best thing to do is to get started on medication such as Flomax that will allow you to urinate and empty better. Hope this helps.

Could there be some abnormal physiological defect that would cause the bladder to hold urine? Prostate was normal size on ultrassound (also plaque and thickening on left wall of bladder ) Is Flowmax (finasteride?) any more effective than saw palmetto at increasing urine flow?
It is highly unlikely there is a bladder problem. Many times men have blockage still even with a normal size prostate. Flomax is not finasteride and is different. It is much better than saw palmetto for sure.
Urologist,M.D.
Urologist,M.D., Urologist