Dr. Y.
Dr. Y., Urologist
Experience:  I am fellowship trained specializing in general urology and reconstructive urology.
32613003

can you have blood in your urine before your actual period

can you have blood in your urine before your actual period starts?
Category: Urology
Expert:  Dr. Y. replied 6 years ago.
Hi there,

Thanks for your question. If I don't respond immediately, it is because I am either in the OR or traveling. I will get back to you ASAP.

If you were not actually having your period at that time the urinalysis was done, then there should be no blood in the urine from your period. If you had blood in your urine , then this could potentially have been due to a urinary tract infection. My recommendation would be to repeat an additional urinalysis and if you continue to have blood in the urine, you need a referral to a urologist for a full evaluation with the CT scan and cystoscopy to rule out other sources of bleeding such as kidney stones or tumors of the urinary tract. While tumors of the urinary tract are very unlikely, you do not want to miss something serious as the potential cause of the bleeding. Hope this helps.