Dr. Y.
Dr. Y., Urologist
Experience:  I am fellowship trained specializing in general urology and reconstructive urology.
32613003

Can I have a kidney infection without a fever??

Customer Question

Category: Urology
Expert:  Dr. Y. replied 6 years ago.
Hi there,

Thanks for your question. If I don't respond immediately, it is because I am either in the OR or traveling. I will get back to you ASAP.

It is not likely that some one would have a kidney infection without a fever unless you are severely immunosuppressed. If you have pain in your lower back area, you need to see your doctor for a urinalysis to rule out infection and an exam to see if you need a CT scan or ultrasound to rule out kidney stones as the cause of the pain. Hope this helps.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
I have been prescribed cuprous while they wait for test results. Is it ok to coprocessor if I don't have an infection?
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
I have been prescribed CIPRO while they wait for test results. Is it ok to take that if I don't have an infection?ni really feel crappy but no fever.
Expert:  Dr. Y. replied 6 years ago.
Cipro is OK to take, assuming you have an infection. If you don't have an infection, then you should not take it as it can lead to the development of resistant bacteria. You should really see your doctor for a urine culture first before you start the antibiotics, because if you become ill, taking the Cipro can really mess up your urine culture and nothing may ever grow out even though you might have an infection.