Dr. Y.
Dr. Y., Urologist
Experience:  I am fellowship trained specializing in general urology and reconstructive urology.
32613003

If my PSA is 6.7 should I get a biopsy?

if my PSA is 6.7 should I get a biopsy?
Hi there,
Thanks for your question. If I don't respond immediately, it is because I am either in the OR or traveling. I will get back to you ASAP.
Yes, at PSA of 6.7 is definitely too high. Anything above 4.0 needs to be evaluated with a prostate biopsy to rule out prostate cancer. The risks of a biopsy are low and include infection in about 5 to 7% of cases. However, leaving a possible prostate cancer grow undetected has much more serious consequences. I highly recommend that you consider having this biopsy done as recommended by your doctor. Hope this helps.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Can sedation for the biopsy be like that for a colonoscopy where you are knocked out? After the biopsy if it shows cancer what happens then? Surgery or other options?
I'm so sorry for the delay in response I just got out of a very long OR case. Yes, you can request that the biopsy be done in the OR under sedation so that you do not feel anything. If you are found to have cancer, treatment will depend on the aggressiveness of the tumor, but surgery, radiation, or watchful waiting (watching PSA every 6 months with yearly repeat biopsies) are all options.Once you get your biopsy results, then you can discuss this with your urologist (or me if you like). Hope this helps
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
I just heard a commercial that advertises prostate MRI's. Can I get an MRI in place of the biopsy?
No. MRI cannot replace a prostate biopsy. The technology for MRI is no where near what it needs to be to replace a prostate biopsy. They are currently doing testing to see if this can replace a biopsy, but I would not want to bet my life on it (and allow a possible cancer to grow undetected) to see if it works yet or not. Hope this helps and please don't forget to hit accept. Thanks.