Urology

Have Urology Questions? Ask a Urologist Online.

Ask a Doctor,

Urology

Are there foods or supplements that can affect PSA results

Customer Question
Submitted: 6 years ago.Category: Urology
5/5/2011
Urologist: Dr. Y., Urologist replied 6 years ago
Dr. Y.
Dr. Y., Urologist
Hi there,

Thanks for your question. If I don't respond immediately, it is because I am either in the OR or traveling. I will get back to you ASAP.

There are no foods that cause the PSA to rise. PSA is produced by normal prostate or cancerous prostate tissue. Testosterone can make the PSA rise, so taking supplements that have testosterone, or indirectly make your body produce testosterone can make the PSA rise. Cinnamon will not make the testosterone rise. I'm not sure why you had a rise and drop in PSA that corresponded to the cinnamon, but this is purely coincidental
Do you think any of the following make testosterone rise:
fish oil
aspirin
brocili seed extract
walnut oil
ALA (alpha linonic acid)
vit. D
vit. B complex
On the cinnamon issue that came last year from JHU. They told me that it accelerated the growth rate of prostate cancer cells in the lab. If I can find a reference I'll send it.
No, none of those other supplements would cause the PSA to rise. If you have that cinnamon article, I'd like to see it. But I just don't see how that is feasible at all.
Dr. Y.
Dr. Y., Urologist
Dr. Y.
Dr. Y.
Dr. Y., Urologist