Urology

Have Urology Questions? Ask a Urologist Online.

Ask a Doctor,

Urology

How come I always pee the bed after drinking alcohol, even

Customer Question
if I am not drunk...
How come I always pee the bed after drinking alcohol, even if I am not drunk? And what can I do to stop this from happening? It is really affecting my life.
Submitted: 6 years ago.Category: Urology
5/2/2011
Urologist: Dr. Y., Urologist replied 6 years ago
Dr. Y.
Dr. Y., Urologist
Hi there,
Thanks for your question. Please be patient for a response as I may be in the OR or driving, but will get back to you ASAP.
Alcohol inhibits a certain hormone in the body called anti-diuretic hormone. This action causes you to produce much more urine than you normally do and can make you incontinent of urine when you are not aware especially at night. The only way to stop this from happening is to stop drinking alcohol or to ensure that your bladder is completely empty several hours before you go to bed. There is no other treatment for this. Hope this helps and please let me know if you have questions.
How come it happens to me and not other people
Your body may just be more sensitive to the effects of alcohol. If this problem doesn't happen when you don't drink alcohol, then this is certainly only related to the effects of the alcohol.
Dr. Y.
Dr. Y., Urologist
Dr. Y.
Dr. Y.
Dr. Y., Urologist