How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Dr. Y. Your Own Question
Dr. Y.
Dr. Y., Urologist
Category: Urology
Satisfied Customers: 20388
Experience:  I am fellowship trained specializing in general urology and reconstructive urology.
Type Your Urology Question Here...
Dr. Y. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I am 50 years old, my urine stream has become weak, trickles

Resolved Question:

I am 50 years old , my urine stream has become weak, trickles and up 2 or 3 times a night to urinate, I get around 64 oz of water per day, and also urinate 3 or 4 times during the day also, I need some sleep getting up at night all the time takes a toll on you. I had a PSA test in Sept 2010 it was .67 and my doctor does not feel I need another test, he put me on Flowmax for 3 weeks and it did not help, I am on Ziac for blood pressure and Lipitor and low dose asprin , could use some help, any ideas.
Submitted: 6 years ago.
Category: Urology
Expert:  Dr. Y. replied 6 years ago.
Hi there,

Thanks for your question. Please be patient for a response as I may be in the OR or driving, but will get back to you ASAP.

Your urinary symptoms are consistent with bladder outlet obstruction, which can be due to prostate obstruction or a stricture (scar tissue) of the urethra. I would recommend that your urologist perform a test where you urinate into a machine to see how good your urine flow is. If it is slow, then you will need a test called cystoscopy to look in the urethra to rule out a stricture, or if your prostate is causing obstruction. The flomax should have at least helped a bit by now. If the prostate is obstructing, you may need a surgery like a TURP to open the prostate channel. If you have a stricture, this may need to be dilated open if it is short. Hope this helps.
Dr. Y. and other Urology Specialists are ready to help you