Dr. Y.
Dr. Y., Urologist
Experience:  I am fellowship trained specializing in general urology and reconstructive urology.
32613003

How long is recovery from removal/excision of a urethral caruncle

How long is recovery from removal/excision of a urethral caruncle? Patient (that would be me) is in good health--having cyscosopy at same time becuase having trouble emptying bladder
Hi there,

Thanks for your question. Please be patient for a response as I may be in the OR or driving, but will get back to you ASAP.

At most, this will require an overnight hospital stay. However, you may be able to go home the same day. You'll recover from the anesthesia by the next day and you can move around and do normal activities within a couple days after surgery. I would refrain from heavy lifting were having any intercourse for about 4 to 6 weeks after surgery. Hope this helps
Customer: replied 6 years ago.

This will be outpatient surgery. Want I want to know is are there any risks not having it removed....does it grow, and possibly become cancerous? The doc says it may impede free flow of urine, and while I am out since he is doing cyscopocy to remove the caruncle--that is his suggestion. I just dont like to be cut.

From your description of things, it sounds like it is probably worth removing this while you have the cystoscopy done. Is actually very simple procedure to just remove this lesion from the urethra. The risks are very minimal and include bleeding and infection. This is not cancer. Hope this helps.