How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Dr. Y. Your Own Question
Dr. Y.
Dr. Y., Urologist
Category: Urology
Satisfied Customers: 20386
Experience:  I am fellowship trained specializing in general urology and reconstructive urology.
Type Your Urology Question Here...
Dr. Y. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

Hi - I am a 56 year old man with a PSA level of 3.5 My doctor

This answer was rated:

Hi - I am a 56 year old man with a PSA level of 3.5
My doctor just came back from a convention where one of the speakers recommended
finasterides as a way to avoid Prostate Cancer.
My Dr is advising that I see a urologist.
I have read about the side effects of Finasterides ( lowered sexual desire,low testosterone,etc) and these are exactly the opposite things than what I want in my life.
I am in good health and still enjoy an active sex life.
In fact I had asked my Doc about testosterone cream or the patch which friends my age use and are getting good results from.(Muscle tone-skin health -sex)
What are yoru thoughts?
Thank you-B
What are yoru thoughts.
Hi there,

Thanks for your question. Please be patient for a response as I may be in the OR or driving, but will get back to you ASAP.

A few things jump out at me based on what you tell me. First, for your young age of 56, a PSA of 3.5 is considered elevated when adjusted for your young age. Even though the typical cutoff is 4.0, your PSA should not be above 1-2 at your age. I would recommend having an evaluation by a urologist and they will likely recommend a prostate biopsy to rule out cancer.

Regarding the finasteride issue, the use of it to prevent prostate cancer is controversial. It can result in lowered sex drive like you describe. If you were my patient, I would recommend that you have a prostat biopsy done based on your PSA alone. Hope this helps.
Dr. Y. and other Urology Specialists are ready to help you