Dr. Y.
Dr. Y., Urologist
Experience:  I am fellowship trained specializing in general urology and reconstructive urology.
32613003

Hi - I am a 56 year old man with a PSA level of 3.5 My doctor

Hi - I am a 56 year old man with a PSA level of 3.5
My doctor just came back from a convention where one of the speakers recommended
finasterides as a way to avoid Prostate Cancer.
My Dr is advising that I see a urologist.
I have read about the side effects of Finasterides ( lowered sexual desire,low testosterone,etc) and these are exactly the opposite things than what I want in my life.
I am in good health and still enjoy an active sex life.
In fact I had asked my Doc about testosterone cream or the patch which friends my age use and are getting good results from.(Muscle tone-skin health -sex)
What are yoru thoughts?
Thank you-B
What are yoru thoughts.
Hi there,

Thanks for your question. Please be patient for a response as I may be in the OR or driving, but will get back to you ASAP.

A few things jump out at me based on what you tell me. First, for your young age of 56, a PSA of 3.5 is considered elevated when adjusted for your young age. Even though the typical cutoff is 4.0, your PSA should not be above 1-2 at your age. I would recommend having an evaluation by a urologist and they will likely recommend a prostate biopsy to rule out cancer.

Regarding the finasteride issue, the use of it to prevent prostate cancer is controversial. It can result in lowered sex drive like you describe. If you were my patient, I would recommend that you have a prostat biopsy done based on your PSA alone. Hope this helps.