Dr. Y.
Dr. Y., Urologist
Experience:  I am fellowship trained specializing in general urology and reconstructive urology.
32613003

I have been passing bloody pieces of tissue in my urine

Customer Question

I have been passing bloody pieces of tissue in my urine since last night. I went to the walk in clinic on Saturday thinking I had a kidney infection. Urine test showed leukocytes but nothing grew out in culture. I have been having a lot of pain in both kidneys and down my sides and back. I have also been running a low grade fever for about 4 days now. I don't want to spend a fortune on tests if I don't need to. What would cause this?
Category: Urology
Expert:  Dr. Y. replied 6 years ago.
Dr. Y :

Hi there, Thanks for your question. Please be patient for a response as I may be in the OR or driving, but will get back to you ASAP.

Dr. Y :

The possible causes for this pain include a severe urinary tract infection, kidneys stones, or tumors of the kidneys, ureters, or bladder. Since you have fevers, the most likely cause is a severe infection of your kidneys or bladder.

Dr. Y :

However, the serious causes like tumors needs to be ruled out as well as the cause of the bleeding and you should see a urologist for a CT scan of the abdomen and cystoscopy.

Dr. Y :

Hope this helps.

Customer: But they said nothing grew out of the culture so I don't have an infection
Dr. Y :

Then this could be a kidney stone

Dr. Y :

You definitely need a CT scan for further evaluation

Customer: Can it be caused by taking anvil pm nightly?
Dr. Y :

Advil can cause kidney damage over time, but it should not cause the pain that you have

Customer: Thanks
Dr. Y :

You're welcome

Dr. Y :

I wish you the best

Dr. Y :

Is there anything else I can help you with?

Customer: Can kidney stones cause you to pass tissue?
Dr. Y :

If the stones are large enough, yes it can

Dr. Y :

I need to head to the hospital. If you have other questions, I'll get back to you. Otherwise, please don't forget to hit accept. Thanks.