How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Dr. Y. Your Own Question
Dr. Y.
Dr. Y., Urologist
Category: Urology
Satisfied Customers: 20388
Experience:  I am fellowship trained specializing in general urology and reconstructive urology.
Type Your Urology Question Here...
Dr. Y. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

What causes urinary bladder sludge and how is it treated

Resolved Question:

what causes urinary bladder sludge and how is it treated
Submitted: 6 years ago.
Category: Urology
Expert:  Dr. Y. replied 6 years ago.
Hi there,
Thanks for your question. Please be patient for a response as I may be in the OR or driving, but will get back to you ASAP.
Sludge to the bladder is typically caused by infection and is likely due to retention of urine in the bladder. In a man, this is most commonly due to an obstructing benign prostate. You need to see a urologist to do an ultrasound on your bladder to see if you are retaining urine. If you are, then you will need to be started on medication such as Flomax to help empty your bladder. Another medication called Proscar can also help. Hope this helps and please let me know if you have any questions.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.

as i stated in my question pt is catherized he also takes both medications

he does no have retion he has had several ultrasounds

if infection czuses it what does sludge consist of my main questio and what to do about it

Expert:  Dr. Y. replied 6 years ago.
If he is already catheterized, then the sludge is from the clumping together of infected urine particles and the way to treat this is to change the catheter out or perform intermittent catheterization, send a formal urine culture, and treat him with antibiotics based on the urine culture. He needs to see his urologist to have this done. Hope this helps and let me know if you have questions.
Dr. Y. and other Urology Specialists are ready to help you