Urology

Have Urology Questions? Ask a Urologist Online.

Ask a Doctor,

Urology

When urinating in the morning after all night without going

Customer Question
to the restroom I feel...
When urinating in the morning after all night without going to the restroom I feel strong pain (cramps-like) in the abdomen - as if bladder filled up and upon deflating it causes pain. Then the pain suddenly disappears and I do not feel it again until the next morning. If I urinate during the night the pain does not occur. There is no blood in the urine. What could be the cause?

Male
46 Yo
No chills
No nausea
No pain while urinating only AFTER/when finished
Pain feels like bladdr expanding to limit of tension and then deflating with pain starting after deflation
No weak urine stream
Submitted: 6 years ago.Category: Urology
11/29/2010
Urologist: robertfernando, Board Certified Urologist replied 6 years ago
robertfernando
robertfernando, Board Certified Urologist
Hello..
Welcome to justanswer.com
What is your age and sex?
Are you taking any medications?
Chills or nausea? pain in abdomen?
Any past medical issue?

Male

46 years old

no medications

no chills

no nausea

pain in abdomen as described

no past medical issues

Well, pain in urination in morning along with cramping pain in abdomen, urinary hesitancy can be due to -Benign Prostatic Hyperplasia. It results in painful urination in morning and may also lead to a weak urine stream.

Other possibility can be-Prostatitis. This causes swelling and inflammation of the prostate gland.
To make a diagnose, you will be requiring few tests, which includes-

Urine test , semen test, Ultrasound of seminal vesicle, Digital Rectal Examination (DRE).

Also Urine Flow Study may be advised.

My opinion is that you should see Urologist , for tests, and management.

Good luck and take care.

Kindest Regards

I have no pain when urinating and I have no weak urine stream - those are not symptoms I described.

I only have a cramp-like pain as if my BLADDER was swelling to contain the urine overnight - perhaps putting stress on the walls of the bladder while expanding? - and then deflating upon urinating

Urologist: Dr Josh, Physician replied 6 years ago
Dr Josh
Dr Josh, Physician
I see that you have opted out Dr. Robert. Before answering your question, i need to ask few questions-

Do you any problem with erection.
Do you have to wake up in night to urinate?
Since how many days, you have these symptoms.

Thank you.
Relist: Doctors are not
(1) specialists in the field
(2) US doctors.
Doctors are not
(1) specialists in the field
(2) US doctors
Hi
No problem. I will ask moderator to change the category of your question to- Urology. Specialist doctor of that field will answer your question
You will be answered there.

Thanks for your support.
waiting on someone to give me an answer sometime this morning?
still waiting on an answer from a US odctor who is a specialist...one day later...
Relist: a day later still waiting on an answer....
a day later still waiting on an answer...
Urologist: DR AM, DOCTOR replied 6 years ago
DR AM
DR AM, DOCTOR

please mention your symptoms again?

Have you been to a doctor?

Thanks

Relist: I asked for a US doctor who is a specialist in the matter (e.g. urologist). All doctors are from India and the last one asked me if I have been to a doctor yet and to repeat my symptoms...hello?.
I asked for a US doctor who is a specialist in the matter (e.g. urologist). All doctors are from India and the last one asked me if I have been to a doctor yet and to repeat my symptoms...hello?
Urologist: Dr. Y., Urologist replied 6 years ago
Dr. Y.
Dr. Y., Urologist

Hi there,

Thanks for your question. Please be patient for a response as I may be in the OR or driving, but will get back to you ASAP.

Hi there,

I am a Urologist who trained and practices in the USA. Your symptoms sound like you are having a bladder spasm. However, this is odd to happen after you urinate. It certainly may be due to an intense contraction from an overly distended bladder throughout he night. You should probably see a urologist to do an ultrasound on your bladder after you are done urinating to see if you are able to empty your bladder completely. You'll need a prostate exam done to see if an enlarged prostate may be a cause of your symptoms. You should be screened for diabetes, obstructive sleep apnea, and congestive heart failure as these diseases can cause urine overproduction at night. You may need to be started on meds for your prostate such as tamsulosin. Meds like Toviaz can be prescribed to stop bladder spasms. But the bot***** *****ne if, you need to be evaluated by a urologist to get to the bottom of this. Hope this helps and let me know if you have questions.

Dr. Y.
Dr. Y., Urologist
Dr. Y.
Dr. Y.
Dr. Y., Urologist